i’m not really fluent so i just lurk and translate anything i don’t know. most of the time i’ll just browse zhihu or baidu and find new terms. sometimes i’ll find stuff that i wouldn’t on english sites. it’s also become my go to “immersion” study method.

• 小莱卡@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

i actually set up a goal for myself yesterday, to start learning chinese characters by browsing bilibili (now that youtube is not allowing adblock). I am planning to learn 2-3 characters a day and browse through bilibili trying to identify the characters and with time i may be able to translate video titles and comments.

• Neodosa@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I would much rather recommend you to find words to learn instead of characters, since this will actually let you understand the characters a lot better. Learning the words and the characters they are made out of will help you map the underlying meaning of the characters a lot better, since characters in themselves are hard to define using english words. Take for example “面” which if you look it up in a dictionary will be translated as: surface, flour, noodles, aspect, side. The meaning of this character will depend on what characters it is used in conjunction with, and so how will you be able to understand which of these meanings it has if you don’t know the words and grammar?

Also, I would strongly recommend that you start with focusing on listening instead of reading, since this will help you develop a better accent and it will make learning the characters a lot more effortless.

Additionally, understanding comments on social media is actually kind of an advanced skill, since you need a very good understanding of the culture and references.

• citsuah@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Small daily steps is a good idea but I don’t think learning character by character is a good way to go about it. If it’s fun for you then that’s fine but just know you won’t make much progress understanding the meaning.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sometimes and I used to a bit more. I’ve forgotten so much Chinese that is has become quite difficult now

• littlered@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

i still have no idea why they chose the name xiaohongshu for it. not sure if it’s a just a coincidence or not.

• jkpeq@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

yeah, I use 小红书, 微信 and bilibili all the time. I have some chinese friends and I currently study the language (currently ~HSK3). It is a great way to study

• loathesome𝕏dongeater@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Chinese websites particularly baidu and weibo don’t open for me. Not sure if it’s because of my ISP or whether these websites are restricting traffic. Not that I would be able to understand anything on them.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Try it on Tor. Baidu always works for me but maybe try Tor if the ISP might be the issue

• citsuah@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wechat is good for vegging out. I find it’s far more international than Western social media. I routinely see shorts from all over the world, Central Asia, Europe, Africa, East Asia .