Fully Functional.

• Transporter Room 3@startrek.websiteOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

My wife actually love BBT and got me watching it. I still hate laugh track sitcoms, and as a Super Nerd a lot of things irritated me, but overall it’s not nearly as bad as I was expecting from all the meme hate.

Still, the meme is not wrong, Data had a fine positronic brain, sure, but He can kill a motherfucker when necessary.

Papa Soong didn’t raise no bitch.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s a show I loved to hate when it aired, but watching the occasional episode here or there with my gf I’m finding that it gets a few chuckles out of me.

• cynar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I found big bang theory a lot more palatable if you consider it as an unreliable narrator story, with penny as the narrator. It’s not what actually happened, but what Penny remembers about it. All the geeky/nerdy stuff gets filtered. Only the surface, superficial stuff gets remembered, and even that is distorted. That is why it plays on stereotypes so much.

My wife likes BBT, I’ve learnt to tolerate it at best.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

The Big Bang theory always felt like a stupid person’s idea of what smart people are like.

Also, from the couple of episodes I watched, apart from being terribly unfunny, it felt like the whole point was just to mock neruodivergent people.

• dumpsterlid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I honestly find even ten seconds of the Big Bang theory to be like nails on a chalkboard.

It feels written by someone who isn’t a nerd trying to write a nerd character and just missing the point utterly and completely.

If you want an example of good non neurotypical nerd characters that are on the spectrum maybe, you don’t need to look any further than Tendi and Rutherford in Lower Decks. They both have heart and feel way more fleshed out than the Big Bang theory.

The Big Bang theory just makes me want to vomit, it either feels like the most insufferable version of nerds or it feels like a high school bullies super reductive perception of nerds. Also the whole “Penny is a normal hot girl hanging out with nerds” is such a stereotypically reductive setup too.

• HubertManne@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

One thing I did not like about data is he sorta made everyone else second best in thier specialty. stronger than worf, smarter than wesley. I almost surprised they did not give him more sensory capabilities than giordi.

• nxdefiant@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

He’s stronger than worf, but doesn’t have his instinct for dangerous situations. He’s smarter than Westley (lol) but doesn’t have a great capacity for improvisation and adaptability. He’s technically better than Geordi at science, but not necessarily engineering, again pointing at his spock-like proclivity for sticking with “in the box” thinking.

Ironically, Geordi has better tech eyes, but data gets more play, if you know what I’m saying 😉

• constantokra@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

That’s one of the reasons I think neurodivergents identify so strongly with him. I might be smarter, or better at some things than someone else, but it definitely doesn’t mean I’ll be more successful than they are.

• Cringe2793@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I dunno, I actually really liked TBBT. It’s one of those series that I can go back and watch whenever I feel down.

Seems like a fun bunch of friends who know how and when to mock each other, and seldom go too far. If they do go too far, they usually apologise and don’t do it again.

I think people nowadays just get offended too easily.

• androogee (they/she)@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

You think the problem people had with that show was that it was too “offensive”? Lmfao.

Like what you like, but the criticism I had/heard was never once, “I can’t handle how edgy this is”

• UnrepententProcrastinator@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s trashy and very migonystic. I’m okay with guilty pleasures but please express the guilt, don’t take the people get offended easily route.

• Cringe2793@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Lol it seems like everything is misogyny nowadays.

I really think it’s because people get offended way too easily.

• UnrepententProcrastinator@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

We’re just telling you why it’s trash and not aimed at actual nerds. It’s aimed at the general population and the characters are shown to treat girlfriends like trophies. The whole offense thing is mostly a free-speech absolutist talking point. And you don’t want to know what type of political movement historically are free-speech absolutist until they consolidate power.

• Cringe2793@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Well, you’re entitled to believe what you wanna believe. I don’t think they treat their girlfriends like trophies generally.

So, yes, I do believe people are getting offended way too easily. The fact that a simple opinion of mine is rubbing so many people the wrong way is proof of this.