cross-posted from: https://literature.cafe/post/5745653

cross-posted from: c/ebookdeals @ Literature.cafe

Discover Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, the beloved comic fantasy universe that’s brimming with wit, wisdom, and wonder. Start where it all began in the seminal novel The Color of Magic, which follows the misadventures of the inept wizard Rincewind as he serves as tour guide to Twoflower, Discworld’s first-ever sightseer. The hapless duo’s journeys continue in The Light Fantastic and Sourcery, where the scale of world-threatening hazards (and accompanying absurdities) increase exponentially. You’ll get over 35 Discworld novels in all, touching all corners of this whimsical realm and all manner of its denizens, and you’ll help Room to Read with your purchase!

**The titles in this bundle are available through Kobo.com. To access the content, create or log in to your Kobo.com account.

This bundle is only available to those in the US.**

• brsrklf@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Yeah I already wrote them about this on a previous bundle.

I was rather annoyed about it because not only it was not available for me, but they still sent me a newsletter ad for it anyway.

Got an answer :

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us. We wouldn’t be Humble without honesty.

I’m sorry for the confusion with the Urban Fantasy bundle. It is currently only available in North America.

I definitely understand where you’re coming from though. I’ll be sure to raise your concerns with the rest of my team, and we’ll consider it when making future decisions. I can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to take applicable action, but we appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us.

Please feel free to share your feelings with us anytime.

Thank you again,

I think they may have stopped sending those, because I don’t remember getting a mail for that Terry Pratchett bundle. They still have links to it on their site even though it leads to the “sorry, we don’t care about your region” page though.

Not too annoyed about that particular bundle because I probably have all of these in physical form already. But region-locked books is still terrible, I don’t care what their reason is.

• JaymesRS@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Kobo has their own flavor of epub called kepub. Readable as is (minus DRM) via any epub reader. The biggest difference is that it includes indexes that their ereaders use to track what page you are on, but are otherwise invisible unless you’re looking at the raw xhtml.

The Kobo Desktop app in combination with Calibre and the obok plugin (part of the NoDRM/DeDRM plugin) can easily strip the Kobo DRM and it outputs EPUBs.

This is what I use and is one of the easiest to remove from the books I buy. I’m happy to answer any other questions (I already bought this, I posted the original).

• Bebo@literature.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I have never tried to deDRM kobo ebooks so wanted to ask: does the deDRM plugin that is used with calibre to remove kindle DRM work for kobo? And does it work with latest version of kobo desktop app? Amazon is making it so difficult to remove DRM nowadays, I am wondering whether I should shift to kobo.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

As to the whole moving to Kobo thing, they have (in my opinion) one of the best sets of eReader devices right now. Their files are basically epub, the DRM is pretty easy to strip even without a physical eReader, just using the desktop app.

Their eReaders handle side loaded content fantastically; most just throw series in a big pile without respecting series order or even that some are in a series together, but with Calibre you can easily set what order they are in and have a spot where you filter by series on the device. I’m happy to answer questions or we have a community at !kobo@lemmy.world too.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

There’s 2 plugins in the DeDRM/NoDRM bundle. You want the Obok plugin for Kobo. I have used it successfully within the last month with everything up to date.

• Inventa@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s through kobo, but I don’t know if you’ll be able to download your books or they will just be available to you on kobo.com

If nobody replies, I may test it and report back

• RBG
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

**The titles in this bundle are available through Kobo.com. To access the content, create or log in to your Kobo.com account.

This bundle is only available to those in the US.**

Says in the text, does that not answer your question?

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Good question, unfortunately I don’t know