• Max-P@lemmy.max-p.me
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

The ads come from an ad network where there is very little visibility into what’s going to be displayed in your app. And bad people also keep managing to get their ads published even though the ad network doesn’t allow them

And it all ties into the whole targeted advertising, where they also make sure very few people get the bad ad, and tries to target people they think may be more susceptible to these kinds of tactics. Depending on the amount of interactivity allowed, the ad can even display two different things if it deems you too savvy to fall for it.

It’s basically unescapable unless you only use apps without ads, or pay for the ad-free versions.

The whole advertising industry is sketchy, more news at 10.

• Darkassassin07@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Pi-hole blocks ads served by these networks just fine. Never seen an ad in Boost for Lemmy or for Reddit, though I tend to use Jerboa now that I’ve gotten used to it while I was waiting for Boost for Lemmy to release.

DNS based adblocking like Pihole or Adguard limits you to receiving advertising hosted by the app provider (youtube for example) which is usually better curated than third party advertising networks and less commonly found at all.

• BoofStroke@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

To be truly effective you must also block DoH and DoT. The first can only be done with endpoint lists, since it is https.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Maybe in comming years, but I’ve never encountered an ad served explicitly through DoH/DoT. It’s certainly possible, just not actually in use yet.

You can also setup DoH front and back ends for pihole so traffic entering and leaving it is encrypted. When/if it becomes necessary I’ll probably look into https packet inspection using custom Root certs to force clients to use my local DoH services and block other traffic, or look into inspecting the SNI to apply blocking there; but again its just not needed yet and may not be for a long time. We’ll see. I’m sure the pihole/Adguard teams are also investigating solutions.

• N0x0n@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Hey, could you elaborate or send some lecture? I have the upstream quad9 DoH address in adguard. It’s supposed to better encrypt my traffic right? Never saw any ads or strange DNS requests.

Never heard about ads being inject though DoH or DoT, or did I misunderstood your comment?

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Theoretically an app could use a custom DoH endpoint to retrieve ads instead of the standard dns provided by the system. As this uses purely https without a preceding dns request, pihole/adguard would fail to block it; but it’s just not something currently employed.

• Otter@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Yep, also the ads don’t get initialized at all if the user buys the ad-free version (going to top all in the Lemmy Boost community should bring up the post about it). It’s relatively cheap and the dev is very active with bugs and requests. The dev is developing for the Fediverse and I’m happy to support that (as well as devs for Sync, Connect, Lemmy, etc.)

I like Boost and paid for ad-Free, but a lot of other clients should work for your needs. While they might not be privacy focussed, many are open source so you can check what is going on.

My preference goes

• Boost (not FOSS, one time payment to remove ads)
      • Connect (not FOSS, ad free)
      • Eternity (FOSS & ad free)

I uninstalled the other ones and haven’t kept up with them. There may be better ones out there, these are the ones I’m keeping up with

• imkali@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Jerboa (FOSS. Play Store + F-Droid)

Voyager (FOSS. Play Store + F-Droid + PWA + iOS App Store)

Thunder (FOSS. Play Store + IzzyOnDroid + iOS App Store)

Eternity (FOSS. Play Store + F-Droid)

edit: formatting

• hackris@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Please. For the love of god, NEVER use a proprietary app to use a piece of FOSS software. I think it’s kind of sad that we have this amazing FOSS social network and people use fucking proprietary software to use it.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

i use sync. there’s nothing even close to the quality of the client. (The onlt client that implements material you in a fun and usable way, sync is usable one-handed)
      I had been using Liftoff for a while (before switching to Sync as soon as it came out), which i quite liked but it feels a lot worse than sync

• Arthur Besse@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

(The onlt client that implements material you in a fun and usable way, sync is usable one-handed)

Touchscreen keyboards and their consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

• pirrrrrrrr@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Open-source it a better interface then.

Until it’s as useful as at least Sync for Lemmy, people will use 3rd party proprietary apps

• hackris@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I mean isn’t Lemmy licensed under the AGPL? I’m just asking because AFAIK a proprietary client is not even allowed under this license.

• SeriousBug@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

You couldn’t make a proprietary server. Client is fine, AGPL doesn’t apply when you are accessing the server over a public API.

• ono@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I start with whatever is on F-Droid, and narrow it down from there.

Jerboa was the only option there until recently. I see Voyager and Eternity are there now. I’ll have to give them a try.

• schizoidman@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Voyager is currently many versions ahead of the one listed on F-Droid. It is still usable but you may want to get the latest version from GitHub.

• ono@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

If new versions don’t make it to F-Droid, they might as well not exist for me. There are only a couple of apps that I find important enough that I’ll spend time manually building/pulling/installing, and a Lemmy reader isn’t one of them. Thanks for the tip, though.

• ono@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Part of what I value in F-Droid is the additional layer in the build/release process, because it makes tampering more likely to be detected.

It’s still nice to know a tool like obtanium exists, though. Thanks for the link.

• daftwerder@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Eternity is great! free, no ads, and no lag while scrolling. it also supports swipe to go back from posts.

• HypnoticSheep@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I’ve tried all the other popular apps, and keep coming back to Connect.
      The main features that pull me back are profile-specific settings so I can set up different accounts without having to reconfigure everything every time I switch instances, and the ability to customize post card quick actions, specifically the Mark As Read quick button combined with the persistent Hide All Read toggle. It’s just so convenient, I keep coming back even though it deletes my account info every time it logs me out.

• BoofStroke@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

This is why ad blockers should always be used. Small devs don’t have relationships with advertisers or control over what ad networks will do.

Or you can pay once and be done with them. I think the price of a burger is not a big ask for something you use every day.

I do both.

• BlanK0@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Install the fdroid apps. Eternity is a good example of a fdroid app for lemmy