• Pons_Aelius
    link
    fedilink
    17ā€¢4 months ago

This is no different to training an AI on the works of Van Gogh, getting it to create a new work in that style and then signing it and pretending it was actually created by Vincent.

It is an insult to and an abuse of a deceased artist.

They are grifters, nothing more.

• @EdibleFriend@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      15ā€¢4 months ago

Doesnā€™t it literally open up talking about how heā€™s dead though? I donā€™t think itā€™s really trying to pretend this was really him?

• Pons_Aelius
        link
        fedilink
        3ā€¢
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Donā€™t know, I wont watch it and give them views.

It does not matter what this AI created crap says, it is using Carlinā€™s image and voice to say shit he never did and that he never gave permission for.

• @M500@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          11ā€¢4 months ago

The first minute of it is literally them explaining multiple times that this is not actually George Carlin and itā€™s just an ai trained on his material so it can learn to write like him. They also trained it on his voice so it sounds like him.

I only watched a few minutes out of curiosity and was actually impressed how closely it matches his voice and style.

Iā€™m kinda against using AI to revive a person without their express permission. So anyone whoā€™s already dead shouldnā€™t be eligible.

But regardless the tech is impressive in practice itā€™s kind of scary.

Anyway, just writing to let you know they really hammer home that itā€™s not actually him.

link
          fedilink
          English
          5ā€¢4 months ago

I havenā€™t watched it either I just read one or two of these articles that keep getting posted every day to keep it alive. But if you havenā€™t watched itā€¦ How do you know itā€™s trying to pretend this is really Carlin like you claim?

Iā€™m not saying this is good this is absolutely bullshit but nobodyā€™s trying to pretend this is actually him.

• The Barto
            link
            fedilink
            English
            2ā€¢4 months ago

They donā€™t because it says in like the first 30seconds that it trained an ai to write in his style and one to do the voice in his style, itā€™s an ai impersonation of a modern Carlin set.

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s correct to do it, but I donā€™t like people falsely claiming theyā€™re trying to trick people into thinking itā€™s real or something, when if you listen to only the intro, youā€™ll understand.

• @NABDad@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          4ā€¢4 months ago

This is no different to training an AI on the works of Van Gogh, getting it to create a new work in that style and then signing it and pretending it was actually created by Vincent.

I wont watch it and give them views.

You should probably edit your original post and make it clear you were talking out of your ass.

• Pons_Aelius
            link
            fedilink
            -2ā€¢4 months ago

I donā€™t have to see this crap to know Carlin and his estate did not approve of its production. That is what the article is about.

• @NABDad@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              1ā€¢4 months ago

Yeah, but thatā€™s not what you said. You didnā€™t say Carlinā€™s family wouldnā€™t approve so you wonā€™t watch it.

You implied that they are claiming it is Carlin, which is 100% untrue. You didnā€™t mention you hadnā€™t seen it until after you were called out for your lie.

link
              fedilink
              English
              1ā€¢4 months ago

You very clearly said they are trying to convince people this is really Carlin though. When they go out of their way to open the show with ā€˜Im dead.ā€™ Thatā€™s what weā€™re talking about my man.

• @TrickDacy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      8ā€¢4 months ago

Iā€™m not saying this special is respectful. But it is very much clear from the beginning that itā€™s not actually him. No one is pretending it is

• @Godric@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1ā€¢4 months ago

Nobody, exempting you, is pretending itā€™s actually Carlin. Please at least vaguely know what youā€™re talking about before you post, you need not join the ranks of misinformed angry morons that actively ruin the internet.

• @NABDad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    5ā€¢4 months ago

For what itā€™s worth. I managed to sit through about half, and my impression is they got Carlinā€™s tone and delivery. The only thing they got wrong is Carlin was funny. This isnā€™t.

Maybe it really gets hilarious after the first 30 minutes and I just missed it, but this seemed to me to be the comedy version of AI getting the fingers wrong.

It knows the kinds of things Carlin would say, and it knows people laugh at what Carlin would say, but itā€™s nowhere close to understanding why or being able to reproduce the experience.

• @Gerudo@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    4ā€¢4 months ago

Why Carlin though? He is one of the most respected comics of all time. I donā€™t see him as the type to embrace A.I. type stuff if he was alive today.

I think Mitch Hedburg, Rodney Dangerfield, or hell even Gilbert Godfrey might even get a kick out of shit like this.

• @Godric@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1ā€¢4 months ago

Listened to about half, itā€™s Carlin topics and style, but the voice is uncanny, the jokes are eh, and the audience laughing/cheering is at entirely inappropriate times.