• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I have this really complicated home setup where I have these little switches on the walls and they control the lights it’s very clever.

With home automation sure I could turn the lights on and off in a room I’m not in but since I’m not in that room I don’t see the point. Anyway I can just pretend I’ve done that and then I’m not in the room so I won’t know it hasn’t happened. I really don’t see the point.

You can get home automated door locks, why. In what scenario would you ever want to unlock the door except when you’re in front of the door?

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

If there’s a person I want to be able to gain entry to my property when I’m not there then I’ll give them a key.

It just seems like a solution in search of a problem. Worse still it’s a solution that might be hacked. Security locks, and key safes are far cheaper and much safer.

• olympicyes@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

If someone wants to get into my house they can break a window. I’m more concerned about my money being stolen remotely than someone unlocking a smart door lock. The use case is for the person cleaning your house. Many people would leave their door unlocked for cleaners to get inside.

• phx@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I’d like to have a door lock that did not allow wireless unlock, but does allow locking and checking status to see if you forgot to do so (plus automations tied to the door state).

With automations, you can also do stuff like locking the door under certain conditions (say it’s late at night and it’s been left unlocked for X hours), sending alerts or updating other devices depending on the lock state. You could have it strobe your bedroom light if stuff is left unlocked late too etc etc