Your body doesn’t heal itself. Cuts need stitches that must be permanent. Bones need to be screwed together even if just cracked. How you doing?

• LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Yep. RIP 13-year-old me getting my first menstrual period. But probably died long before that after first needle prick.

• xantoxis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

If you’ve ever broken a bone, just assume you’d be dead of infection.

Actually let’s take this further: multicellular life wouldn’t exist. Life wouldn’t exist. Cell division requires both cells to heal themselves. This is a silly question.

• DBT@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

You went too deep.

Yes it is a silly question. Just trying to have some fun.

• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Very very very dead. The first cut you get would cause you to bleed out and die. It would be a miracle to survive to one year old

• DBT@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Stitch that bad boy up to stop the bleeding. You’re just stuck with the stitches for life.

• jet@hackertalks.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Unfortunately most stitching doesn’t work by itself, you still need natural clotting. The stitching can help hold the wound together so the clotting is more effective and blood losses lessened. But without clotting factor you’re going to need to glue it closed

• Skotimusj@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

People think that the immune system is like this pinpoint accurate machine that kills invaders. In reality, it is more like a carpet bomber that functions under the principle that we can heal and viruses/bacteria cannot. Inflammation is basically your body carpet bombing and healing.

We would also not be able to build muscle mass as the repair of microtears is what leads to hypertrophy.

So we would all be dead. Healing if fundamental to life.

• DBT@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I was thinking of purely physical injuries, so nothing immune system related. But the muscle building part… Damn. Yea we’d all be a bunch of wet noodles. Hadn’t thought of that.

• Tolookah
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m not the first born child, I likely would not be alive

• Ashy@lemmy.wtf
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Does “heal itself” include immune responses? Like, could you recover from a cold on your own or would you need anti virals?

• DBT@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I wouldn’t be dead, but I’d probably prefer to die in this scenario.

• DBT@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Most decent people tend to learn to keep their rude comments to themselves as they age, so the same could be said about your comment.

• DBT@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

It kinda came off like you were calling me young and dumb.

But I think I see where you were coming from. I wasn’t really thinking about old age pains and injuries, even though I’m currently dealing with one.

This was a shower thought where I was mostly thinking about cuts and broken bones. Not meant to be super serious or deep.

• Travesty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Always felt like the immortality was extraneous. Everyone gonna choose the fire after a couple months of no healing.

• Pheonixdeath@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

In the last year alone I pulled a siatic nerve… Burned my stomach (small scar) and broke the left most bone in my left foot in 3 places and barely dodged surgery as it is… So not great?