• Noughmad@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I don’t know the song, are the “wrong people” shooting kids or holding hands with a person of the same gender?

I have a hunch it’s the latter, but I want to have some hope.

• whenigrowup356@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

No mention of LGBT people in the lyrics, but the music video has footage probably meant to evoke the BLM protests and he recorded scenes for the video in front of a courthouse with a history of race riots and lynching ( Maury County Courthouse in Columbia, TN. Mostly the lyrics of the song seem to be talking about “city crime” and conservative no-nos like flag burning and disrespecting police. There’s also a “don’t come for our guns” line.

• gizmonicus@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

So when the government comes for our guns, who will take them? I always assumed it was going to be, you know, the police.

• Ajen@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

As someone who supports reforming law enforcement and protecting free speech (ie. flag burning), I don’t see anything wrong with a song that promotes law enforcement and criticizes flag burning. Those aren’t “dog whistles” or whatever people what to dismiss/demonize them as, they’re just an expression of views I don’t entirely agree with.

• Version@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

He probably means the people who riot, destroy cars, homes and businesses of average people.

Shooting them is wrong and this guy probably is a dickhead, yes, but a lot of normal, average citizens will agree to this.

Edit: To clarify, I mean that‘s how the right get‘s people on their side. Rioting will just result in more people agreeing with people like this guy, even if the message is absurd.

• 🐱TheCat@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Thats what SAYS he means but in actuality these guys mean a black person jogging on ‘their’ street.

To clarify, I’m saying there’s no way we can behave that will be accepted by the right, because they don’t speak honestly about what they want and they argue in bad faith. Trying to satisfy them is a mistake. Like trying to satisfy Putin.

• regeya@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Well I don’t think he meant anything other than that he probably agrees with the lyrics. Four people wrote the song and he’s not one of the songwriters. Also he’s not from a small town.

• pinkdrunkenelephants@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Why the fuck would he knowingly sing something he would know would cost him his reputation?

Answer: he knows the song is racist and agrees with the message.

• Alto@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Because he’s going to gain a large following amount the core base of die hard modern country music listeners. The people who are (rightfully) upset about it weren’t listening to him anyway.

• pinkdrunkenelephants@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

🤦 I keep forgetting no one cares anymore and the U.S. is split up into factions. All the more reason for the left to arm themselves, I guess.

• Alto@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

This isn’t really a new thing. Take the Dixie Chicks for example.

Not that I disagree with the second part, at all.