• @quiescentcurrentOP
      link
      English
      204 months ago

Not sure what else, but the thing can tell you if a cable is USB2.0, USB3.0/3.1/… or just for charging.

• @paddirn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    124 months ago

Is it common for USB-C cables to go bad? I just had a cable for an Xbox controller start to go bad somehow in a way I hadn’t seen before. When plugged in, it will cause the Xbox to power off. Swapping out the cable, but using the same controller made the problem go away, so it’s definitely the cable causing it. It’s the same USB-C cable we had been using for awhile with this controller, it’s what came with it.

• 567PrimeMover
      link
      fedilink
      224 months ago

I have a USB-C cable that will only work in a specific orientation. So I’ll plug in a device, laptop won’t recognize it, (sigh) unplug and flip the cable, and then everything works.

• @lloram239@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      104 months ago

If you wiggle them around long enough, they all go bad. But it should take a few years under normal use. They are rated for around 10,000 insertions. Cable bending can also damage them.

The more annoying part with modern USB is that not all cables are alike to begin with. Cheap charging cables that you get with random gadgets (e.g. flashlights, fans, etc.) will often just have two pins connected, meaning they work only for charging, not data. Others might have data pins, but only enough for USB2, not USB3 speeds. Others might have too much resistance slowing down charging or dropping too much voltage to even have a device function properly at the other end (common issue with long cables or extensions). And so on. Rather annoying to deal with when you just have some random cables floating around, as there is absolutely no labeling or color coding to differentiate the cables.

• @jenny_ball@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      94 months ago

it’s not that they go bad. this tool can tell you what features are on the cable because the cables vary a lot.

• Riskable
      link
      fedilink
      English
      44 months ago

It’s not the cable that goes bad it’s the connectors on the ends: They wear out.

• Romkslrqusz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    124 months ago

There are superior versions of this that include every physical USB port (A, B, C, Micro, Mini, and even lightning) so that you can test any cable instead of just type C to type C.

• Sagrotan
    link
    fedilink
    English
    84 months ago

Am I missing something here or is this roughly the same what you get for 4 bucks from China? I mean, 30 euros plus shipping is a lot for a cable tester imo

• @phx@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      104 months ago

Do you trust the $4 tester from China to test the suspect cheap cables from China?

• @XeroxCool@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        14 months ago

50% failure rate of the cables and 50% failure of the tester means a problem will be found 100% of the time, but it dmwont tell you where. Or something.

• 🐍🩶🐢
    link
    fedilink
    English
    34 months ago

Oh man! Super happy to see his channel on here. Dave is the shit and is the only reason I can half ass solder things. His intro soldering videos are great.

• @thomasfrank
    link
    English
    13 months ago

What a lifesaver! Dealing with problematic USB-C cables can be frustrating. This USB-C cable tester seems like a compact and affordable solution to avoid those connectivity headaches. Buckshot Roulette

• @annata20
    link
    English
    13 months ago

Consider using a USB-C analyzer or connections tester. These devices can provide information about the cable’s performance, power delivery capabilities, and compliance with USB standards.