4-5 days ago, while riding public transportation, I was in a telegram channel that was normally fine, no extreme content, and up came a gore video that I ended up watching 5-10 seconds of (and fully regretting)… But I partly needed that time to process what was going on, and to know if that was really happening

Just this morning, I was curious after hearing about the Zion Williamson scandal and searched for information on one of the women involved in his issues… And there I am on the subway again, and I got just this feed that is all Instagram-tier butt-shots & thong dances…

Again, I don’t really linger too long, but I am curious as to what the overall gallery looks like and was partly amazed that there was no SFW material. But, again, this is on Instagram, so while not exactly SFW, it’s still not too crazy…

My question:

Is it terrible to view this kind of material in a public place if you are at least holding it close to your face or otherwise seeking some amount of privacy?

Am I the asshole for lingering on this material? I was conscious of the people around me and at that moment I was certain nobody could really be looking in on what I was watching unless they were literally stealthily looking over with just their eyeballs. The train wasn’t overly crowded, after all.

• AyyLMAO@exploding-heads.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I guess it depends on the point of view. Is it your responsibility to make sure people don’t see things they might not like? On the other hand, is it your responsibility to not potentially traumatise people?

I wouldn’t watch gore on public transport, not out of principle but of fear of social reprisal. I don’t want to be targeted by some sociopathic person blasting my face all over social media as someone who enjoys torture, particularly because it would be a perversion of truth.

• Lovstuhagen@exploding-heads.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Right. And that is why I kind of feel bad about both incidents. I don’t actually look at either things with any frequency but it just sort of popped up and I had to keep watching the train wreck.

• Owner_of_donky@donky.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

No, there isn’t any problem in my opinion. The people around you are going to see you only once in their lives. They might think about this for few minutes but the moment they exit the bus, metro they forget about it.

Few months back I saw a women looking at some strange stuff. I don’t remember exactly what it was but it wasn’t super wrong or inappropriate. I forgot about this story until I saw your post.

Don’t think about the opinion of unknown people. I know it is hard but try not do do it.

• Fisuxcel@exploding-heads.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

i wonder who are these assholes who keep downvoting my content, like downvote if you want but i have no idea why you keep doing that…

• AyyLMAO@exploding-heads.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’d say it’s obviously people trying to punish you for your opinions, hiding behind “anonymity”. No debate, no co-existence. They just want to annoy you and make sure you see it. Their aim is attention to the act.

If it’s possible to ignore, ignore it. You’ll win.

If anonymous cowards keep up downvoting comments and posts on here due to what seems like ideological differences, there are tools that can analyze the downvotes and find out who they are. I’m not a fan of blocking due to different opinions, but this seems more like an attempt at destabilizing the service for you. Blocking the offender from the exploding-heads would rid us of the problem.