• Adderbox76@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Because once a corporation increases prices due to “supply and demand” or whatever bullshit reason they make up that week, those prices never go back down if the reason changes. conveniently.

Every corporation will say “we need to increase the price on “x” because the primary supplier in Bolivia is facing economic turmoil…blah blah blah.” But once that turmoil is over and supply returns to normal, they don’t bother taking the prices back down and rely on the fact that modern society is too distracted by their “conveniences” to care.

“The people will not revolt. They will not look up from their screens.” – a stage play based on George Orwell’s 1984

They (the super-rich) have created a class of people beneath them who don’t notice or care that they’re being fucked over so long as they are provided with more and more vapid content to consume.

• TerryTPlatypus@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

“The people will not revolt. They will not look up from their screens.” – a stage play based on George Orwell’s 1984

Striking line–now we just have to figure out how to get people off their screens and onto streets.

• Nowyn@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Things either need to be really, really bad and people are done or we need to find what they care about more than being comfortable. I was not always politically active. It took until my late twenties and seeing how bad things can really be. I have been an activist on the human rights front for about a decade. And it only happened because I really saw the issues in my country and continent. But while my family knows as I make sure they know, and some kind of care, it is not important enough for them.

But weirdly. My country had literal neo-Nazis as a minister and everyone with a brain thinks we still do as bids of the same feather and so on. And suddenly my leftist but not active friends became active, online and outside that. It is weird when I have been warning that this is the road we are on for the better part of a decade it took it to happen for people to take action. Thankfully we are still solidly democratic so this might work. At least for a few years.

• socsa@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Prices go down all the time. You literally watched egg prices fall like 4x this year.