Ultraviolet light can kill almost all the viruses in a room. Why isn’t it everywhere?::Can special lightbulbs end the next pandemic before it starts?

• SlamWich@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Jeez, every response in here is about it burning your eyes. Thing is, people aren’t in every room all the time. Have it set to a sensor, same as the lights, and you can quickly sanitize large spaces that are unoccupied. Elevators, airplanes, etc can be sanitized the second they’re empty. My FIL is a retired GE engineer working on this technology.

• derf82@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Have it set to a sensor, same as the lights

Given how often the lights go out at work while I’m taking a dump, this isn’t the best idea.

• Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

It’s definitely easier to tell if something is in a room than it is to tell if nothing is in a room. And sensors still fail at that. Timers would probably be better, since you don’t need disinfection every time a room is used.

If you know the office building will be empty every day at 2AM have the lights do their work between 2-3 every morning.

• piecat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Sounds dangerous

I have lights go out on me all the time at the office, just sitting mildly still. What happens if someone falls asleep in the room? Or worse a kid? Severe sunburn and possible blindness

• JargonWagon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Or what if they’re black? I’ve read so many stories about sensors not detecting people simply because they have darker skin.

• atthecoast@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Better presence sensors exist, and are only used in such critical situations. These are based on radar and sense the chest movements of people.

• doggle@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’ve been in a restroom and had the lights turn off on me because a sensor didn’t detect someone was still I the room. I’d bet good money I’m not the only one. Sensors, presently, are either invasive or inaccurate. Or both.

• SoylentBlake@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

The light can be tucked away into the HVAC. The light never needs to hit anyone. You got central heating/cooling? One light, whole building. It’s almost criminal this isn’t common.

• And009@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

That is… Genius, the light probably needs some time to work but the idea of disinfecting a at a central location can work well for indoor air.

But my sweaty mouse pad, and dust stuck on the floor would need another system.

• AFK BRB Chocolate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Ever noticed how stuff left out in the sun gets bleached out and doesn’t last very long? Imagine leaving your carpet and all your furniture out in the sun. UV light is very hard on stuff.