• Dead_or_Alive@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I love comments criticizing trucks from Lemmy users who haven’t seen sunshine or touched grass in a year.

Do any kind of outdoor activity, maintain a property or mild home renovation on the regular with your sedans and we’ll see how long it takes before they look beat to shit or have mechanical issues.

• lightnsfw@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

This post isn’t criticizing trucks. It’s criticizing the oversized modern one’s that aren’t any better at work than the much smaller ones of the past.

• Arcka@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

While I agree that pavement princesses are stupid, saying:

oversized modern one’s that aren’t any better at work than the much smaller ones of the past

is either very disingenuous or ignorant.

The image calls out towing and compares something like a Daihatsu Hi-Jet with a Chevrolet Silverado 1500.

In the are where I live, if you’re building a retaining wall you might bring a skid loader such as the Kubota SVL65. Weighing in at 3840kg (8465 lbs), the kei truck couldn’t pull that with its meager towing capacity of 600kg (1323 lbs). Meanwhile, the lowest 2023 Silverado 1500 has a towing capacity of 4309kg (9,500 lbs).

A popular block used for retaining walls here is 40x30x6cm (16x12x6in) & 37kg (82 lbs). The Hi-Jet can haul 9 blocks in its bed, or about 13 in a trailer. Meanwhile, the Silverado could haul 23 blocks in its bed, or over two full 48-block pallets towed on a trailer.

• lightnsfw@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

a 1995 1500 could tow that as well and it didn’t have to be a pedestrian crushing monstrosity to do it or have a dinky 6’ bed. Just look at the 3rd picture in the OP to see what I mean.

• Arcka@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

That depends on which package you’re comparing. As noted before, the lowest 2023 has a towing capacity of 9500 lbs while the low end of the range in '95 was 7500 lbs which is not capable of towing the Kubota skid loader. Comparing the high end of the ranges, the '95 comes in at 10000 lbs vs 13300 for the modern build. That’s a huge difference.

Examining the 3rd picture in the OP, it looks like a 2000ish Toyota Tacoma which is no where near comparable having around just 1/3 of the towing capacity of 2023 Silverado 1500s.

The '95 1500 with closer-yet-lesser capabilities has a form factor much more similar to the 2023. The major changes to form follow function. There have been major passenger safety improvements and around 25% improved fuel efficiency. There’s more going on under the hood. It’s not empty space - just ask anyone who’s had to work on one.

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I bring enough ice fishing gear to over night on the lake in a hut and fit it all with room to spare in a small hatchback. The idea you need a truck to do outdoorsy things is mostly propoganda.

• psycho_driver@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

No, it is. I used a Honda Odyssey when I was contracting. Way more room in the back to haul stuff around than a standard pick-up bed.

• Dead_or_Alive@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yes, because everyone has the exact same use case as you. There can be no other outdoor activities which require more space than a hatchback. /s

• IMongoose@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

There definitely are legitimate use cases for those gigantic trucks, but 90% of people who have those trucks don’t use them for those use cases.

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I can also go camping, paddling, mountain biking, snow shoeing, snowboarding. Really the main outdoor activities I couldn’t do are motor sports, and thats not really a traditional outdoor activity and my tow capacity is what stops me.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I own a farm, and all the other farmers I know around here are so pissed with this new culture of people just buying them as a status symbol. The prices have doubled and they no longer make basic trucks for work. Almost impossible to get one that’s not got every electronic gadget on it. We don’t need heated seats and electric windows or fucking massage chairs built in. We need something that can haul stock trailers and flatbed rollers. It’s insanity. I blame all these people who pay 100k for a dually and never use it for what it’s intended for.

• Perhapsjustsniffit@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Farmer here as well. We use our truck. A lot. It’s the only vehicle we have and it’s 16 years old. It badly needs replacing but instead we keep repairing because of the extreme cost of a new one. It’s way beyond our reach and we won’t go into debt for it. Canada (where we live) just passed a bill that all new vehicles will be electric by 2035. That’s going to fuck us even further.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Yeah it sucks, both our trucks are 20+ now, one is a 2003 and other is a 95. The prices for trucks are insane now. It’s a tool, not a fashion symbol.

• Transporter Room 3@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I own a truck and I do not feel attacked by this.

Exactly BECAUSE it’s used for hauling, I need the bed space for work, the ground clearance for personal hobbies, it’s a '99 that I can keep running with recycled parts, and it’s reasonably sized. I could do without the extended cab, but I didn’t exactly have many options when I needed a vehicle.

Would I like to have a EVan with similar cargo space, ground clearance, and ease of maintaining/working on at home for a reasonable price? Absolutely. Unfortunately it doesn’t exist yet. So I do what I can with what I have, and don’t feel bad because this kind of post isn’t talking about me.

It’s talking about my neighbor with a spotless, lifted raptor who needs it to feel like a big strong manly man when he goes to pick up the groceries and beer, and blocks the handicap van access by parking in the stripes next to the handicap spot.

• Strykker@programming.dev
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

First of all fuck you,

Second I haul more sports equipment in my hatchback than most bro dozers ever do in their life.

Hell I’ve probably moved more construction materials than them too.

• Ookami38@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

No one hates work trucks. We hate pavement princess. Trucks that are a status symbol, not work vehicles. Notice how the OPs image includes things like “same bed size” - realistically the only different work feature of the original two trucks pictured. Troll better.

• Arcka@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

No. For workers volume is not the likely issue, weight capacity is - and the two vehicles are very different especially for towing.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Alright, so first you didn’t read the post. It’s about two trucks with the same bed size. However, one of the trucks is pointlessly large, to the point that it’s actually harder to use it to haul things since the bed height is so much higher. A truck with a lower bed is easier to load.

Second, the vast majority of trucks are never used for anything a sedan can’t do. If your bed liner doesn’t have any scratches, you could have saved a lot of money and CO2 with a sedan. Hell, if you do need the cargo capacity a van (including a mini-van) can haul more cargo than a truck. A truck’s advantage is that it can carry oversized loads, not a lot of cargo.

Third, if you do occasionally need a truck or other cargo carrying vehicle, it’s probably cheaper to rent one the few times you need it. The amount of extra you’re paying in gas and everything else will almost certainly outpace the price of a rental a few times a year it’s needed.

Obviously there’s still some use cases for a truck. The smaller one will be better though, and 99.9999% of US truck owners don’t fit this group.

• gamermanh@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Do any kind of outdoor activity, maintain a property or mild home renovation on the regular with your sedans and we’ll see how long it takes before they look beat to shit or have mechanical issues.

Been using my Leaf to maintain my rural acre for 2 years now and the most beat up looking part of it is where my goats jumped on it the first time they saw it, and even that’s just a dent in the roof

Have yet to need to rent a truck to do anything major, it’s all been quite easily manageable in my little car. Should I need a bigger truck, I can rent one really easily for the time I need to use it

• Skybreaker@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’ve had a home for 10 years and done all of these things without a truck. My cars are in great condition. Sounds like a capability issue.

• Tiger Jerusalem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I second the others telling you to go fuck yourself. Go touch some grass instead of trolling on lemmy, or go back to Reddit.

• SwampYankee@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

As others have pointed out, the outdoor activities aren’t that big a deal. It’s homeowner shit that they’re good for. Granted, I still think the full-size flagship models are pointless, mine’s just a mid-size. I can transport small engine equipment (ride on mowers, snowblowers) that wouldn’t fit in 99% of roofed vehicles. I can throw pavers, gravel, mulch, dirty tools, gas cans etc. in the bed without worrying about cleaning the interior or stuff getting into cracks, or noxious smells. All my plant waste from trimming and raking goes right in the bed and down to the local transfer station.

I had a spent oil jug crack in my SUV once and it took months for it not to smell like a mechanic’s garage, not to mention the sludge stuck in corners that I literally could not get rid of and the permanent stain in the upholstery.