Thanks brexit

• stoy@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Eh, they make some good stuff, the iPhone is good, but I can’t stand OSX…

• rtxn@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

The hardware is durable, I’ll give you that. I use a 2015 Macbook Air at work for SSH and VNC (running Linux Mint of course) and with the exception of the battery and lid sensor, it’s still in good condition.

But their policies and recent decisions make me want to never interact with them at any level.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

My 2011 15” MacBook Pro gets 1.5 playthroughs of Beetlejuice on max brightness on its ORIGINAL BATTERY!

Granted, it has less than 30 cycles…

• ji17br@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

I’d switch my iPhone before I’d switch to windows. But I’d also switch to Linux before windows.

• PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Their phones are alright. Their iPads are second to none - Android tablets don’t even come close to comparing. Macs are horrible though; The only reason they’ve survived is because they have a lot of proprietary software that you can’t find on Windows or Linux. Every time I’m forced to use a Mac for work, it’s a soul-sucking experience and I want to drag Apple’s lead designer out back and give them the Office Space treatment. When choosing a computer/laptop OS for personal use, I’d fucking use MS-DOS before I considered a Mac.

• Nevoic@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

There’s a bit more nuance to the tablet debate. If your price point is $800+, then yeah the iPads are best (unless you want the best media watching experience, then the Samsung ultra is a real competitor), but under $500 and there’s a very good argument for Android. You can get an iPad with an A14 Bionic for the same price as a galaxy tab S8. Their graphical performance is within 2% of each other, CPU performance is about 15% better on the iPad, but the Samsung has a 120hz screen and the iPad has a 60hz screen. Also the aspect ratio for the Samsung is closer to 16:9, so more screen for media.

The above is also purely hardware focused. Most people swear by an O.S due to familiarity or features. Some people like Android’s customizability or power. Emulators for example require jailbreaking on iOS, on Android you can just install emulators, install Linux distributions (I have an ARM install of Ubuntu on mine), and other things like that that would normally require jailbreaking on iOS. On Android you can also root your phone or install a custom ROM to customize your phone even more or get even more power, things that just aren’t possible on iOS.

Meanwhile people usually “like” iOS for ecosystem features. If regulations ever open up iMessage, FaceTime, etc. to the wider smartphone market, Apple’s market share in the phone space could definitely crash, because a lot of iOS users aren’t actually passionate about their operating system, they just want access to the ecosystem.