A new economic report from TD says Canada is falling behind the standard-of-living curve compared to its peers.

• PeepinGoodArgs@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

If y’all keep listening to conservatives and businessmen, you’re going to catch down to the United States of America

“Economic growth does not necessarily equate to economic prosperity,” TD economist Marc Ercolao wrote

This is what I’m talking about. This is the second line in an article that spends the entire time talking about a decline in economic growth as a proxy for standard of living. Changes in GDP don’t mean shit if the wealth isn’t fairly distributed

• Nalivai
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Never heard conservatives talking about anything like that, in any country. If they ever talk about it it’s always bootstraps and tax cuts for the rich

• Numpty@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Talking… sometimes. Actively doing the thing they talk about… nope.

• girlfreddy@mastodon.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

@cyberpunk007 @Numpty

Now, yes. But it didn’t used to be. Prior to Jack Layton shifting the NDP to center-left the party continuously battled against the neo-liberal politics of both the Tory and Liberals.

I mean just consider if Canada had stayed in a for-profit healthcare system … do we actually think any one of those 3, or for that matter any provincial gov’t, would now be seeking to implement universal healthcare like the NDP’s Tommy Douglas did in Saskatchewan?

• cyberpunk007@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

So we have that, then we have the NDP which is basically the liberals lap dog, and then the liberals which have made many decisions I disagree with. Who’s left to vote for?

• emeralddawn45
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Yeah fuck these people. “Liberals don’t always do what I want and NDP never wins they just join with the liberals so I’m gonna vote conservative even though they ruin everything for everyone”.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Yeah fuck these people.

A little harsh, don’t you think? FWIW I voted NDP last couple elections…

• Numpty@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I struggle with the same question. I’m trying to educate myself about the options… and it’s damn difficult. Every option is a poor choice for different reasons. One party has a core platform that is completely out of touch with the public, the next relies on fingerpointing and provides zero solutions, and the third just parrots what people are thinking on many issues but does nothing more than grandstanding.

Sigh.

With the way things are, we end up voting for a party we dislike so that the party we feel is destructive to Canada doesn’t win the election… and then we end up dissatisfied with the results. It’s pretty broken.

• StillPaisleyCat@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

While in no way intending to minimize the economic hardship inflation has had on Canadian’s lives, to be clear, this is ‘standard of living’ defined as real GDP per capita.

That is it measures the arithmetic mean or average of what the economy produces adjusted for general inflation. It says nothing about how income or wealth is distributed or other key factors that determine wellbeing at an individual, household or societal level.

This is not generally viewed as the best measure of quality of life or societal wellbeing. Critics from across the political spectrum globally have been critical of the focus on GDP per capita for decades. It says something that TD as a bank is still focused on it.

The OECD Finance Ministers adopted a Wellbeing Framework to measure and compare across countries. Canada has its own version that StatsCan is reporting on.

• ImplyingImplications@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thanks for pointing that out! GDP figures are easy to collect and analyze which is why economists like them so much, but you’re absolutely right that they don’t show the entire picture.

For wealth inequality, the Gini Coefficient is a common measure. In the linked wiki article you can see Canada is in line with the UK and Germany for being middle of the road whereas places like US, Russia, and Saudia Arabia have incredibly high income inequality.

• StillPaisleyCat@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The OECD Wellbeing Framework uses both the GINI and a measure of health disparities (differential in life expectancy) as measures of equity.

There is a significant consensus that if a country were to look at a single measure alone, trends and changes in life satisfaction would be the best one. For comparisons between countries, it’s less helpful though.

• greyskies@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The standard of living is falling because the massive middle class is being looted by the .01%. Trillions of dollars have been funneled up to the ultra rich during the pandemic and afterward, and nothing is trickling down.

And governments around the world are enabling and assisting it, including in Canada at the federal and provincial (and municipal) levels.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

“Middle class” is a myth the ruling class uses to keep the working class in the working class. If you don’t own your own means of production, and you don’t wield political power, you’re working class.

• BringMeTheDiscoKing@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Some kids where I live have pediatricians. My 1 yr old son sees a public health nurse for vaccines, goes to emergency when something is wrong and i sneak him in for checkups when I have an appointment with my nurse practitioner, because pediatricians (and doctors in general) are in short supply.

$10/day daycare sounds great, unless your kid isn’t already enrolled. Waitlists are mostly closed. I’ve called a dozen daycares at least and I’m on the waiting list for two, basically hoping for a string of cancellations.

This gap in the market has resulted in a boom of unregulated daycares in random people’s houses! What could possibly go wrong with that?

Cost of electricity is going up. Not because of oil prices, but because ratepayers need to pay (and pay and pay) for a government/crown corp boondoggle. But don’t worry, the people who pushed it all through can afford the rate hike, and solar panels and wind turbines and batteries to boot.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Some kids where I live have pediatricians. My 1 yr old son sees a public health nurse for vaccines, goes to emergency when something is wrong and i sneak him in for checkups when I have an appointment with my nurse practitioner, because pediatricians (and doctors in general) are in short supply.

Yeah. Canada has slipped to #11 behind Australia, New Zealand, and every scandinavian country. We could learn a lot from them, even if we’re WAY BETTER OFF than so many other countries. I’m voting to ensure we get back in the top-ten.

$10/day daycare sounds great, unless your kid isn’t already enrolled. Waitlists are mostly closed. I’ve called a dozen daycares at least and I’m on the waiting list for two, basically hoping for a string of cancellations.

This gap in the market has resulted in a boom of unregulated daycares in random people’s houses! What could possibly go wrong with that?

I agree – regulation and inspection of daycares and massive fines for those opening ghetto childcare is an important goal. We’ve had so many ‘small governments’ that ditch any kind of safety inspections on day one, and it’s hard getting them back. It’s a job almost as thankless as a medical professional in a blue province.

Cost of electricity is going up. Not because of oil prices, but because ratepayers need to pay (and pay and pay) for a government/crown corp boondoggle.

Yeah. WAY better than Texas in a snow storm. Or … not.

Hey. we can still vote to make changes to how arms-length crown corps do their business. We CANNOT vote to change how enbridge works.

But don’t worry, the people who pushed it all through can afford the rate hike, and solar panels and wind turbines and batteries to boot.

Tell us your postal code starts with a T but we won’t be surprised. You guys have been lied-to on all those points for way too long, and I’m sorry for how that must stress you.

• BringMeTheDiscoKing@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I didn’t mean to give the impression that I’m stressed. I was just responding to the topic with my own experiences. I think our current provincial government is doing their best with a bad situation. We are dealing with the lack of doctors by rolling out supposedly gold standard collaborative care, which seems like a great idea but we just don’t have the money to support it properly. And as for our crown corp boondoggle, we voted out that government but we still have to pay for their stupid “legacy” project. And the high-ups on that project have already moved on to the next thing – maybe they’ll pick the least popular one to take the fall so they can check the ‘accountability’ checkbox.

My postal code starts with A, b’y ;) What about my comment came off as Alberta-y? In that context the tone of my post would be very different, I think! My own fault for leaving my province to the imagination :)

• Owl_Master@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

No shit Sherlock. Food cost keep rising when grocery stores make record profits. Shrinkflation is the new trend to blind the unaware consumer. House and lodging cost is insane and the government is watching everything burn.

The hole is getting deeper …

• Numpty@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Watch your grocery shopping… it’s incredibly frustrating and depressing. Everyday things like… say a flat of chicken breast from Save-On. Not so long ago that flat of meat was about $7-$8 for 1kg. Now you get 650g for $14. Every item you buy has dramatically reduced in size/weight and doubled in price.

• zephyreks@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Considering how GDP is measured, this is more a sign of the real estate slowdown and the collapse of the O&G/fisheries industries than anything else.

What’s more worrying is the lack of growth in Ontario/Quebec, which should be the economic engine of Canada.

• Victor Villas@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Indeed, as literally spelled out:

The report states that the decline is largely related to productivity. Regions like Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Newfoundland and Labrador, where the economy relies heavily on the exchange of commodities, used to have the highest GDP per person, TD says. Over the past ten years, however, their lead has been challenged. Following the pandemic, only B.C. and P.E.I. have been able to raise their GDP per person levels they had in the years prior to COVID-19, TD reports.

This is a headline just because there’s this catchy tradition of saying “standard of living = GDP per capita” which is misleading.

• Mrmcmisterson@slightlyawesome.ninja
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Have been for awhile, now it’s just insane.

Watched a video with this lady showing how much things were in a small town in Alaska… Not far off the prices here in Vancouver.

• Numpty@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Lived in the GVRD. Thought “this is way too expensive, everyone is saying Alberta is so much cheaper” so we put things in storage and went to Alberta. Six months in, we discovered…

• Car insurance in AB is 3 to 5 times what we were paying in BC and we get less coverage.
        • Rents are only marginally lower than what we’d pay on a similar property in the Fraser Valley
        • House prices were only marginally lower in the Calgary region vs where we bought in BC
        • Winter in Alberta sucks big time

After six months we moved back to BC. The small difference in housing costs made so little impact to our monthly COL, that it wasn’t worth it. We paid WAY more for car insurance and electricity - so much so that any savings we saw in housing costs were totally eclipsed by other expenses.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

They aren’t getting there, they’ve been there for a long time. Housing was already starting to get ridiculous circa 2013.

• sadreality@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Imagine failing to provide of the most basic of commodities to your population so that rich people and boomers can trade theirs like NFTs… while real estate agents and other assortment of critters are able to extract large fees on per trade basis because fuck you peasants, that’s why!

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

But I’m sure its young people fault they can’t save money, afford rent/mortgage and move out of their parents house. If things don’t turn around soon I think a lot of young people will end up leaving this country in search of a life that isn’t just scraping by.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Id be curious to know where it’s better. I feel like this trend is bad in other countries, though maybe not quite Canada level yet.

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Some other countries have cities with denser design and good urban planing and transit so even comparable rents and food prices can compete as car ownership isn’t essential. The US has places far behind us in housing prices and tech sectors often pay higher salaries than in Canada.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

You should eliminate it. The experiences of animals are real and matter. Their suffering is identical in nature to your own. It harms us when we take pleasure in cruelty and violence.

• Aggy@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Reduction is also one of the best ways we can reduce climate change as it’s something that can often be reduced by choice.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Fuck the climate. As an analogy, not buying the products of slavery might have incidental positive effects on the climate or political situation in parts of the world, but who fucking cares when individuals are being subjected to massive suffering and trauma?! Surely that is more important!

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Plus climate change. I mostly cut dairy and meat and substituted things and it’s kind of funny how going back tastes as weird after a period of time as it did when I changed away from it.

• tarsn@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Great sentiment and all, but shit for all of us that have ibs (estimates are as much as 1 in 5 people). If I can’t have animal protein I’d literally die, or have such a shit quality of life I might as well be dead

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

I have IBS. Or rather, I did, when I consumed animal products. Granted we are all different and IBS is sort of a catch-all diagnosis without specific mechanisms, but if not eating animal products will literally KILL you (it won’t), you’re clearly not dealing with fucking IBS, you have some serious fucking problems.

• tarsn@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

Plant proteins are all fodmaps. Beans, lentils, peas, etc are some of the worst ibs triggers out there. If I eat any of those foods I’m in excruciating pain on the toilet for a week. Not eating any protein would kill me yeah. I guess I could try to survive on powdered rice protein isolate which is the only plant based protein that doesn’t fuck me up. But fuck that. More plant foods absolutely destroy me than not. Fruit? Forget it, that’s fructans. Vegetables? Sure, if it’s lettuce or something. Beans? Nope. Broccoli? Nope. Tomatoes? Apparently also high fodmap. Used to be low fodmap but Monash seems to have changed their mind. Sweet potatoes? You betcha that’s a fodmap. Garlic and onion? Oh yeah those are the worst triggers ever. Nuts? Absolutely brutal reactions as well.

I’ve lived wth this shit for a decade. At first I could tolerate some fodmaps in small amounts. Recently? It’s zero fodmap or I’m dying on the toilet.

I’m literally considering carnivore diet as a potential treatment. So yeah, all you lovely vegans and environmentalists are advocating for making my life either impossible, incredibly expensive, or excruciatingly painful.

• sik0fewl@kbin.socialOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Are you saying that you have negative reactions to all (or almost all) fodmaps? I thought people only have reactions to 1-2.

• tarsn@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Unfortunately I do. Anything that feeds gut bacteria messes me up. Antibiotics make me feel better for a bit but it always comes back. My only diagnosis is ibs, I’ve tested negative for sibo multiple times.

I used to be able to tolerate things like tomatoes and certain berries, even small amounts of lactose like in cheese. Little bits of garlic powder when used sparingly as a seasoning.

Not anymore though

• sik0fewl@kbin.socialOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

Damn. As someone with Crohn’s, I understand what it’s like, but that sounds way worse than my condition.

I’ve been thinking about doing a low FODMAP diet to identify any triggers, but I can’t imagine having to do it all the time.