I literally do blame the Democrats for Trump, and if you don’t, you weren’t paying attention.

Plenty of us were critiquing Clinton’s campaign on those merits and were consistently talked down to in shocker the same way we’re being talked down to now. Shocker, she lost. I remember saying a few weeks before the election “We’re about to get Brexited.” I put my vote down for Clinton, because Trump is fucking insane, and that was clear before he was President. It was clear in the fucking 1980’s.

Being able to critique our leaders is supposed to be what is the difference between us and conservative voters. They’re the cult who unquestioningly believes all the bullshit that comes out of Trump’s mouth and diapers. I find it weird that people think we should be more like them in regards to our leaders like that would be a good thing.

• Grebes@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Hubris may have lead to Clinton’s loss but Trump voters made him win. If the powers that be didn’t fully understand the hostility of voters that lead to Trump’s victory then maybe they are not as smart as they think they are but not actively malicious. Trump is actively malicious and surrounds himself with the same. The Democratic Party may have tipped the scales a bit for Hillary but they also must have thought she would get the most votes and was one of the most qualified candidates from either party. I’m not going to defend the two party system but only one is pushing for ranked choice voting, electing by popular vote, and reducing voting restrictions. Not voting or third party isn’t going to make this any better

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

The issue here is that Bernie was leading polling (among dems,) and killed the NH primary’s popular vote by a landslide and Iowa caucus was the closest margin in Iowa dem history.

Despite this, the NH superdelegates pledged for Hilary. This performance was in spite of the DNC actively taking steps to harm Bernie’s campaign (cutting access to voter databases; fucking around with debate scheduled).

To be blunt, the DNC fucked America by not nominating the best possible candidate in ‘16.

And they’re doing it again. Biden has all the same weaknesses that Hilary has- and some extra besides. Meanwhile Trump has had 4 years to spin and retcon his bullshit to his base; the memories of his term are less fresh.

He’s weak with the millennial vote (and gen z.)

He’s soft on the black vote: (he opposed busing for desegregation in the 70’s, said he didn’t want his kids going to a racial zoo- or however he said it,); and then there’s the condescending bullshit he dropped “if you vote for Trump ya ain’t black”.

Soft on Latino votes; because his border policies also suck. His first two years he could have had motion but now he’s fucked on it.

Soft in Palestinian and Muslim votes. “Genocide Joe” is a far more apt nickname than anything else Trump has called him.

Biden has consistently opposed abortion (flip flopped in his ‘19 campaign for president. historically voting for restrictions on abortions, and voted to block federal funding for abortion providers.), and let’s be honest, if he wanted RvW as law; he could easily have gotten that done in his first two years.)

Biden is historically soft on LGBTQ rights- voting to ban gay marriage.

While improved from Trump; Biden’s economy still objectively sucks for the vast majority of Americans, 60% of whom are living pay check to pay check. (Which is actually up from Trump’s term; even if it is trumps fault, mostly.)

Inflation is still fucking most Americans; who are consistently being told it’s our fault (asking for wages) despite record-setting profits for corporations.

If you’re being honest with yourself, you’d understand a rapist insurrectionist who has proudly declared he wants to be a dictator is the only candidate that Biden could realistically defeat.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Not voting or third party isn’t going to make this any better

I made this post because of bullshit ass assumptions like this. I voted for fucking Clinton with gritted teeth and the same for fucking Biden. I know the fucking stakes, I vote for fucking Democrats, but even in the response to this meme I’ve got chucklefucks assuming they know what’s on my mind or what I’m arguing here.

What do you assholes want from us, a pound of fucking flesh? You already have our fucking votes!

• AnonTwo@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Really? I voted for Jill Stein, and none of the discussion on Reddit leading up to it was deterring me from doing that.

Seeing the results of the 2016 election, which again ended in an insurrection, is specifically why I won’t be voting third party for this one.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

I’m an old, I’d been aware of Trump for a long time. I wasn’t willing to risk him trying to become a dictator, the guy had been a suck-up to dictators long before his run in 2016.

Being willing to critique the party for failing to match the wits of a fucking orange idiot didn’t set well with a lot of folks.

The conversations weren’t changing my opinions either, they were just frustrating and eye-rolling, just as they are now.