I dunno when it happened but I swear SBCs were the new best thing in the universe for a while and everyone was building cool little servers with their RockPis and OrangePis.

Now it’s all gone x86 and Proxmox with everyone shitting on Arm. What happened? What gives?

Is my small army of xPis pointless? What about my 2 Edge routers?

I’ve got about 6 xPis scattered round my flat - is there anything worth doing with them or should I just bin them?

All thoughts, feelings and information welcome. Thank you.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

How bad is it?

My current file server, an old gaming rig, consumes 100w at idle.

I’m considering a TrueNAS box running either 2.5" ssd’s or NVME sticks (My storage target is under 8TB, and that’s including 3 years projected growth).

• stevehobbes@lemy.lol
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Go tweak your power and fan settings. 100w at idle is way too much unless it’s 15 years old.

Fans, especially small ones are very sneaky energy hogs. Turn them waaay down.

• nezbyte@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Depends on what your server is running. Multiple GPUs, HDDs, and other fun items start to add up to well over 100W. I justify it by using it to keep my 3d printer filament dry.

• stevehobbes@lemy.lol
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

If you have multiple GPUs in your home server you’re probably doing it wrong. But even then, at idle, with no displays connected, the draw will be surprisingly low.

Most systems with some ssd/NVMe, 2-4 DIMMs and maybe a drive or two should idle closer to 50w-60w.

• nezbyte@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Agreed, don’t do what I do if you value your power bill. To be fair, my network switch pulls more power than my cobbled together server anyhow.

• ddh@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

If you’re getting two gaming PCs out of one hypervisor, you might be doing it right.

• fuckwit_mcbumcrumble@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Newer CPU’s tend to use a good chunk more power under low loads than some older ones. Going from 1st Gen. Ryzen to 2nd Gen. got me about 20 watts higher total system power draw with my use case. And 3rd Gen. is even worse.

Intel is MUCH worse at it than AMD, but every Gen. AMD keeps cranking up those boost clocks and power draw and it really can make a difference at low to mid range loads.

My Ryzen 3000 based system uses about 90 watts at “idle” with all my stuff running and the hard drives on.

• stevehobbes@lemy.lol
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

It’s probably more about aggressive default bios speeds. Tweak your c states / bios overclocking / pcie power management / windows power management features. Idle power has gone down on most chips.

The Ryzen 3000 should truly idle closer to 20-30w.

• fuckwit_mcbumcrumble@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

That is after tweaking bios settings. Originally I was at around 100 watts, now I’m closer to 80.

Keep in mind that’s with a bunch of hard drives, and it’s not a 100% idle, more of a 90% idle which is where modern “race to idle” CPUs struggle the most.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Nothing to be done. It’s old. Only fan to adjust is cpu, and I can tell when the cooler is getting dirty because the fan stays at higher speeds.

Otherwise there’s one large, slow rpm fan in the case, always on low speed.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

How bad is it? My current file server, an old gaming rig, consumes 100w at idle.

That’s very bad haha. Most home servers for personal use are using 7-10w.

Although you’ll have to do the math with your local energy prices to determine how important that is. It’s probably not.

• saiarcot895@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

$1/day? At 100W average power usage, that’s 2.4kWh per day, suggesting that where you live, the price is 41.67 cents per kWh, roughly double that of California.

Is electricity that expensive where you live?

Edit: it’s been a while since I lived in the Bay area, I hadn’t realized that the electricity price now ranges from 38-62 cents per kWh, depending on rate plan and time.

• krash@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Holy crap! I have a n100 SFF that consumes 5-6 w idle (with WiFi on) and I have an old i5 (gen 6 I think) that consumes 30 at idle. Your rig is defiantly not meant to act as a server (unless you want to mine bitcoons or run boinc…)

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Lol, yea, it’s old, was built for performance, and hasn’t run right in a while.

I’m looking to setup a NAS and turn that thing off