hi, I thought I read someone’s post about above somewhere but didn’t save it and I don’t think we can yet search communities so does anyone know of such app please? tx

• ExtremeDullard@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I’m not sure if you meant remote-controlling a phone headless - you know, on the command line, from scripts… that sort of thing.

If you meant taking over the phone and using it remotely as you would device itself, I wholeheartedly recommend scrcpy.

This thing is brilliant: all you have to do is enable USB debugging in the phone, connect the phone to your PC with a USB cable, start scrcpy, authorize your PC on the phone when the popup appears and the phone’s screen and audio are immediately mirrored on your PC (make sure to get the latest version of scrcpy for the audio).

Whenever I arrive at work, I immediately plug my phone to my PC and start scrcpy. Then I turn off the phone’s screen to preserve it (CTRL-O in the scrcpy window), force the phone to stay on all the time with Caffeine and that’s it: I can spend my day at work using the phone and taking calls from my PC.

Also, if you PC runs Linux, the latest version of scrcpy can act as a video source. In other words, you can use your phone as a webcam!

Scrcpy works in Linux, Windows and MacOS and it’s open-source. There’s nothing to install on your phone and your phone doesn’t need to be rooted. It’s the greatest Android tool there is. Seriously, you’ll kick yourself for not knowing about it sooner.