• velox_vulnus@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

This is probably a nice “What if” visualization comment I’ve read - at least this hypothetical timeline would have not tarnished under the enshittification as much as we have. But what about stuff like WebGL? Do we download binaries now and execute them in a sandbox, instead of downloading HTML, CSS, Webfonts and bunch of transpiled JS? What about internet cultures like e-sports, and streaming? How would we be viewing simple stuffs like blogs then? Perhaps, through a “blog” command line app, that reads the REST API JSON?

• Moira_Mayhem@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

without browsers, I don’t think there would be a need for most of that, as there would be no need to create the visually compelling but ultimately ridiculously overmoduled live documents.

Esports would still exist just like normal sports existed before the internet. Technically esports predates the world wide web as coin op competitions already existed and sometimes even made it into international news.

Again streaming sites would still exist as mentioned due to the high serving costs, and esports could easily be part of their lineup.

How would we be viewing simple stuffs like blogs then?

There is still place for documents on the internet without the WWW. back in the BBS days, we’d download text file magazines to read offline (lol sometimes having to save days and days of download credits just for a TEXT file! Man dialup was crazy. That said, without having to have one (kinda) standardized way to view documents those file formats would evolve beyond just text into something more like OpenOffice document formatting, again without the capitalism-driven effort to make snazzy, eyecatching but ultimately useless dynamically served document formats.

Honestly I think the dynamically served aspect of modern WWW documents is such a ridiculous waste of resources and bandwidth that not having it may just as well constitute a technical advancement over what we have today.