I’ve seen in various threads that the current browser engines aren’t good, such as gecko and blink. The question is why? Why do we need a new one, and what’s stopping a new one being made? Is it just the fact that they’re a lot of work to make?

• thehatfox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

One of the main issues is the lack of competition. There are now only 3 main browser engines, Blink, Gecko and WebKit. Blink (which poses Chrome and Edge) is by far the largest, and has a the enormous marketing might of Google (and Microsoft to a lesser extent) behind it. WebKit runs Safari, which only runs on Apple platforms and arguably only has the market share it does is because Apple doesn’t allow other browser engines to run on iPhones and iPads. Gecko, the engine of Firefox, continues to slide into irrelevance (which pains me to say as a long time Firefox user).

We are in real danger of the web being trapped in a browser monoculture again, like the dark dark times of Internet Explorer’s dominance. This led to a period of stagnation in web technology Microsoft at the time put little effort into developing IE. Allowing Blink/Chrome to do the same will likely be just as damaging, albeit in different ways - particularly for privacy on the web.

For the good of the web no one company should ever be in the position to dictate web standards, which is why we need a healthy and competitive marketplace of web browsers and browser engines. The problem is that web standards have now become so complex developing an indecent browser engine is now a monumental task. Opera gave up on Presto, once the poster child for browser innovation. Microsoft, a company with far more resources, gave up on Trident. Mozilla was developing a new generation browser engine called Servo, but gave up on the project also.

• KptnAutismus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

people around me are starting to realize that firefox is the go-to browser nowadays. my dad has actually been using it since he bought his current computer. and i’ve switched back from opera gx due to concerns of me being in a walled garden of advertisement.

• Ugly Bob@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

The big issue is that by adding more and more features, a browser has become an operating system and so complex that you can’t hope to make a new one from scratch.

The last “new” browser engine (that wasn’t built by a corporation) was KHTML which was stolen harvested first by Apple for Webkit and subsequently by Google for Blink. KHTML then rotted without support.

The most recent attempt was to build Servo in Rust. Mozilla “ran out of money” (they depend on Google for their existence), and it’s already rotting.

• umbrella@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

mozilla dropped it but servo has been picked back up by the linux foundation. its under active development again.