I’ve seen in various threads that the current browser engines aren’t good, such as gecko and blink. The question is why? Why do we need a new one, and what’s stopping a new one being made? Is it just the fact that they’re a lot of work to make?

• satanmat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

While it is true that anyone could. A modern browser engine is complex AF and about on par with an OS.

I really want there to be more competition. I’m happy to see more people talking about how bad google is and switching back to FF

• pmk@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

What are the biggest reasons for the complexity? What would we be giving up if browsers were simpler?

I remember back in the 90s when it was mostly text and hyperlinks (and animated gifs). Now, we have a lot of nice features of course, javascript and what not, but which of these features are the heaviest for browser complexity?

• satanmat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

ExecutiveChimp said look at the APIs. In the dark ages; yeah a browser was simpler when all it had to do was render html 1.0.
        But mosaic 1.0 does not functionally run on today’s web.

All the things that modern browsers do; and how they run and interact with your computer; how many zero days have MS Apple and Google patched in the last year?

security Week says there were 7 zero days as of the end of November: and I didn’t bother to look at all the other patches.

So yeah. Hard

• BarrierWithAshes@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Well, like an OS there are people doing entire ones from scratch like Haiku, Harmony and Serenity. It’s a herculean task but its not impossible.

I’m hoping that Ladybird and Servo start forcing competition against Mozilla and Google.

• satanmat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yes please. I also love React that Win2k look makes me so happy.

1: I don’t know of any from scratch browsers.

2: I’d be happy to toss a guilder to anyone putting together a serious project

• BarrierWithAshes@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Servo and Ladybird are the two most serious ones right now. Andreas Kling, the lead dev from Ladybird regularly streams his progress and posts about new sites working. It’s been pretty cool watching it over the years get better. iirc their current goal is to get discord completely working in browser on Ladybird.

Love React to. I hope one day I can use it in place of Windows.