Im pretty satisfied with Lemmy, but one thing i wish you could do is browse instances. Like i wish there was a way i could almost emulate being on my programming.dev account and see all that instances communities while im logged into this account. Afaik theres no easy way to do that without visiting some aggregator website. It would be nice to do within Lemmy itself.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Some ability to move identity. I don’t love the way you move accounts on Mastodon, but I appreciate that its possible.

• makeasnek@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Having your identity being tied to an instance is not great UX imo. Bans happen, not always for great reasons. Instances die or close up shop. Having to re-do all your subscriptions, losing your comment history, etc just because your smaller instance closes is pretty annoying and pushes people to more stable, centralized, large instances.

This is why I prefer nostr over mastodon, it’s basically the same in every key way except that your identity is not tied to your instance. I believe nostr devs are working on a reddit clone like lemmy or kbin, but it’s not done yet. Their twitter/mastodon clone is great though.

• Blaze@discuss.online
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Having to re-do all your subscriptions,

You can mitigate that by exporting your settings and keeping them as a backup. That’s one of the nice features that 19.X brought

• makeasnek@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

That’s good to know. Sounds like it doesn’t totally solve the portability issue but definitely a step in the right direction.

• makeasnek@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

It’s just a different protocol that makes different trade-offs, so it can’t use AP protocol. Nostr is an underlying protocol in the same way that AP is, so you can build twitter clones, reddit clones, video streaming services, etc on top of it just like you can with AP.

Nostr’s key difference IMO is where your identity lives, and nostr decided not to have it tied to a particular instance. AP decided to have it tied to an instance, that is a pretty fundamental part of the AP protocol and is the same way e-mail works.

• Dame @lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

AP did not tie it to an instance. It left it up to clients and platforms. Mastodon tied identity to instances

• Deebster@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

That would be good - I often want to see what an unfamiliar instance is about by checking out their homepage sidebar and local communities and currently it’s several clicks and involves going directly to the site, effectively logging me out. At least the new versions have the new feature that sends you back to your home instance to subscribe.

The only plus is that sometimes the remote instance has interesting styles or other customisations that I wouldn’t see unless i visited properly.

• haui@lemmy.giftedmc.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I host my own instance and in the database I can see all the instances my instance knows. Why is this not in the ui? That way I could just click on an instance (as admin) and open up their homepage.

Also, why arent the community headers auto federated? If I federate with lemmy world, I want to be able to see any community on there and by subscribing to one community it copies the content (current situation).

• RotatingParts@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

The ability to “subscribe” to a thread so you could be told when anyone adds to the thread. I don’t understand how people follow a thread without this. You would have to constantly be going back to it (over and over) to seeing if anything was added.

• A_A@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Maybe it was discussed during the AMA ?
    !announcements@lemmy.ml
    Lemmy Developer AMA and Dev Update, 2024-01-26, 1500 CEDT here

P.S. : Yes, it was ask … :
    … Finding communities across instances …
    by : @OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml

P.S.2 : … but no one answered that question and it was not raised again in all those 350 something comments.