• GbyBE
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Honestly though, I believe the early issues with the game were mostly on consoles. On a decently specced PC, the game would run nicely right after launch, with some bugs, but nothing game breaking. I got it right after launch day and enjoyed myself quite a bit with it. The police and the way the cars drove were the things that bothered me the most.

• MrScottyTay@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I remember hearing even some high specced pcs were having issues and you had to essentially be lucky that you had a configuration that they had the time to optimise for. Just having the best gpu wasn’t enough, for example

• hswolf@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

thats was just a loud minority talking about super max setting with Raytracing and 4k

• hswolf@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Not that I remember, true that it didn’t handle the last gen consoles, and that it was marketed as quite demanding

Sadly “minimum” or “recommended” just tells us the game runs, not that it runs well

• hswolf@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

The thing is what is the consensus of “runs well”? Is it a FPS constant? No glitches? Fast loads?

My point is, a game can come shitty and run a constant 30 fps under the “recommended” since that’s what they thought was appropriate

Is a gray area that should be more descriptive, not sure why downvote me

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I had a decent AMD card which ran it very well, but still had a bunch of artifacts like Judy’s head blocking reflections for the whole lake.

• kautau@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

True, though that shouldn’t give anyone dev or publisher the right to release a broken game on consoles because it works on PC. Either postpone the PC release date until the console issues are fixed, or release as a PC exclusive until the same. Part of the reason the game was so successful with phantom liberty is that they stopped previous gen console work so they could only focus on hardware that could actually support the game. As with many devs, their partnerships fucked them, getting pressure from Sony, MS, and Nvidia to release the game before it was a polished product

• GbyBE
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

You’re certainly right about that!

• antaymonkey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I tried playing on the lowest possible settings with a 1070 and averaged around 14fps :/

I still finished the game because it was awesome, but haven’t revisited it ever since.

• GbyBE
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I don’t remember it being that bad on my 1070 mobile laptop (8th gen Intel i5 H if I’m not mistaken), but it was sub 25 fps also. On my PC it ran better, but after upgrading to a 3080 with a 5800X3D was when it ran smoothly at higher resolutions, although the game also had received some updates by then.

• LwL@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I played it on a pc that was ok at the time and the physics engine glitched out so things that were supposed to be sitting still on top of/next to each other would randomly collide and sometimes fly off. Still had fun with the game though.

• GbyBE
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I had some cars that were following an invisible road above where the real road was a few times, and although that broke immersion a bit, I also still had a lot of fun with the game.