• dependencyinjection
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

What? Are you an actual developer.

It’s pure insanity to work like you suggested. Sure it can be done, I used to work on a Mac and had no monitors but it wastes time switching between displays.

I’ll work with 2-3 monitors.

If it two then I’ll have my IDE on one and if I’m working on UI then I have the application open on the other. That way I change some CSS, save and glance left to see how it looks now. If I’m not doing UI work and I’m working on the server then my other monitor is used for the spec document, SQL server management and just web browsing.

On a three monitor setup then the third one would be where I would keep my email client open with teams.

I am literally at a loss for words with your weird take.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

On Linux, using AwesomeWM bindings:

• Caps+E, pull up emacs
      • Caps+D, pull up IDE
      • Caps+Q, pull up browser (repeated calls pull up different windows)
      • Caps+Y, pull up terminal
      • Caps+Down, split the last two called windows side by side
      • Caps+Down, undo the split
      • Caps+Up, maximize the current window

I have many more bindings, but these are the main ones and probably the only one’s I will ever need

If I need to do something concurrently I will split my focus between two tasks and no more.

If I need to edit a UI with code, I do Caps+E, do my edit, then Caps+D and refresh the UI.

I’m literally a finger away from everything, and my head does not need to move from center.

• dependencyinjection
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Hey you do you bro I’m not about to tell you how to do your shit, but I think the consensus here is pretty clear.

Anyways if it works for you then no harm no foul, just seems counter to anybody I’ve ever interacted with that’s a developer. (That’s sounds like I’m saying you’re not, and I don’t mean it that way.).

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Thank you! It’s not often that users on Lemmy reply with such openness and honesty, instead of hiding behind the skirt of sarcasm

• witx@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

It was a bit tongue in cheek I know. I have a very similar setup, but why being judgemental with such a simple thing? It seems like a waste of time and energy. You need those to tweak the setup instead.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

Cos. Superiority complex. No true hacker should need more than a harddrive and a needle to flip bits to do what they need to do in a pinch