• lad@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Reminds me of what the official Instagram client looked like on iPad, a lot of margins, and a bit of that 640px wide feed (or whatever the actual width was)

Don’t know if it’s still the same

• dependencyinjection
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

That’s because they didn’t make an iPad app and so it was just the iOS app on a large screen. Lots of app used to be like this until they made iPadOS versions.

• drathvedro@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Looks like nothing has changed. This is how it opens up on 4k screen. Although, it looks like they tweaked it a little. Up until recently I remember opening a post would show a hilariously small like 800 by 600-something box, half of which was comment section that’d fit like 5 comments at best. But now they finally made it properly scalable.

• UxyIVrljPeRl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The only reason I have an extension for custom css is this bullshit on far to many pages and I only have a normal Ultrawide

• barsquid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I don’t understand how this guy has an audience. I saw one video that was alright where he cleaned a water-cooling system. The rest were like, “look at all this garbage we bought on Aliexpress lol,” and I bounce after several seconds.

• overload@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

For people interested in tech edutainment he’s alright and has mass appeal. My favourite videos have been more of the interesting ones showing how fast his ridiculous fibre connections are in his house.

So much terrible click bait has meant I haven’t bothered clicking in a year or so though.

• kieron115@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Same. I love any of their “infrastructure” type videos. One of my favorites is when their storage server almost kicked the bucket and they showed the unimaginably stressful recovery process.

• Joe Cool@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

And even those videos show how little they know.

They are fun to watch in a “kid goes wow at enterprise tech” kinda way.

• Iceblade@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Yeah he was much better a while back. Though that can be said for most of youtube. The algo messes up everything

• KuraiWolfGaming@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I watch because its stupid. Its like why Call of Duty exists. Just dumb fun that doesn’t require much thought to enjoy. Sometimes you just need some good dumb fun and can’t be serious all the time.

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

More or less my stance as well.
          I don’t want or need 24/7 GamersNexus. The team is great but oh boy is it dry.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

He’s got a lot of charisma. And his videos frequently give that “people doing something they should have prepared more for but pushing through anyways” entertainment where you can laugh at how they put effort into creating an illusion of professionalism but left enough gaps to make it clear it was just an illusion and he’s in way over his head, but somehow still manages to keep it going.

It’s a weird spot where I like the guy and want to see him succeed but also don’t think he deserves that success and want to see him fail.

Though I don’t really spend much time watching hardware enthusiast videos in general, so I probably won’t see either of those unless it goes viral like his last shitshow did.

• chicken@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

entertainment where you can laugh at how they put effort into creating an illusion of professionalism but left enough gaps to make it clear it was just an illusion and he’s in way over his head

I liked the time when he tried to use linux and ended up destroying his os by blindly following googled command line instructions

• stephen01king@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I would’ve done exactly the same, seeing how I am also a newbie at using Linux distros. Who would’ve thought trying to install Steam would result in your GUI being deleted.

• overload@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

That update bugwas so ridiculously poorly timed for the Linux community. Especially considering he said Pop OS was beginner friendly

• zalgotext@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

He used to have some charisma lol. Also the early Linus Tech Tips content, like back when they were running it out of someone’s house, was usually pretty entertaining. Back then the content was much more silly and creative though, and much less corporatized.

• joneskind@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I have 2 24" displays side by side. At some point I unified the desktops (or Spaces if you’re on Linux) to make it act “as if” it was a single ultra wide monitor. This was absolutely awful to use, especially during Google meetings where I had to share my screen.

Besides, I like being able to rotate 90° one of my screen because sometimes it’s just the best way to work.

This thing is stupid. Appealing maybe, but stupid.

• MrFunnyMoustache@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I like being able to rotate 90° one of my screen because sometimes it’s just the best way to work.

PL setups are the best.

• lurch@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

if you use a tiling wm/compositor or extension, big screens aren’t so bad, because it will usually split first in the middle, basically giving you two screens, but with the option to also maximize over the whole area, if needed.

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Looks like 86" to play Untitled Goose Game.

The game with the least reason to play widescreen.

• RebekahWSD@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The best game for it! Widescreen honking at its finest! Really feel you are in that village, being chased by a horrible goose!

Honk honk honk honk!

• ikidd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Christ, they can’t handle 1920W. Everything is a phone now apparently.

• CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

So at what point does a VR headset end up actually being cheaper than your specialty odd-size curved monitor?

• EtzBetz@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

There’s a point somewhere here, but people using apps in full screen with this screen are stupid

• VeganPizza69 Ⓥ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

What would even be the design solution without massive empty space? Add a lot of columns? Make the long content horizontal instead of vertical?

• kevincox@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You could go columns for the content, but I think my ideal layout would still have the main content in a single column. I would put all of the chrome horizontally through. For example no header before and footer afterwards, put everything in different columns. Maybe even throw some extra navigation on the screen.

You don’t need to use every pixel, just avoid putting things offscreen unnecessarily.

• wizzor@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I think for most web apps it doesn’t make sense to allow the width to get so wide, except when the content being displayed is a columnar list and even then it’s a pretty marginal benefit.

What I’ve done is limit the max-width to some amount of px/chars and allowed the remaining space be empty, with an exception for when displaying tables. Even with tables, the bigger width is only beneficial if either the contents of the columns are large enough, or there are very many columns to show. The solution in my mind is limiting the column widths to the longest content.

• gentooer@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

This seems really cool for tiling windows managers (even Windows has tiling options, although I’m not familiar with those). That being said, I still prefer a multimonitor setup on my tiling WM of choice.

• PlexSheep@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

You need to turn your head to read the line number.

Besides, your lines shouldn’t be longer than 80 characters anyway

• neo@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Well, as the picture says, with this bad boy you can use 86 characters per line.

• palordrolap@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

80 characters

Two hours and no-one’s challenged this? People must be asleep.

(This is not that challenge. Only pointing out that someone usually has by now.)

• Platypus@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Eh, depends on the language and the context. I still use 80 for C, but I’ve found 120 to be a much more reasonable number for Java.

• Hexarei@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Java devs gotta be able to read the whole name of their WidgetFactoryBuilderRepositoryConstructorFactoryRepositoryBuilderFactoryRepositoryManagerBuilderFactoryRepositoryFactoryFactoryFactoryBuilderFactory