• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

no shit you can’t compete with something subsidized lol, how is that an impressive argument?

just… subsidize the homegrown produce if you want it to be competitive? big brain moment

• lauha@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Cost ineffective? To whom?

Maybe in utopistic communist fantasy where goverment farms grew me the produce I need, but in current capitalist world home grown is way cheaper to me than store bought.

• azi@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Yeah like look up organopónicos in Cuba. Thanks to the collapse of the import market that fuelled industrial agriculture and government support of local growers, a good chunk of food in the country now comes from ecology-sound urban agriculture.

• FiniteBanjo@lemmy.todayOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

“Hi, this is Chett from the local government non-industrial agriculture office. We see that you grew 6 tomato vines this year and didn’t take advantage of our program to loan you the costs of 34% of maintaining the crop, as it isn’t your first year, would you like to be pre-approved for a $46.38 loan for next year? In return, we ask you to install flood barriers and have your soil tested regularly.”