A 10-year-old boy who was swept into a storm drain while helping his family clean up storm debris is being kept on life support so that his organs can be donated, according to his father.

The boy, Asher Sullivan, “officially passed away” on May 18, but remains on life support to facilitate the organ donation process, his dad, Jimmy Sullivan, wrote in a Facebook post.

“It’s 100% an ‘Asher’ type thing to do in continuing to be selfless,” Sullivan shared  on Facebook. “He will have an honor walk at the hospital in the next few days and be celebrated as he is, a hero!”

• PotatoesFall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    26 days ago

Kids dying this way is 100% expected given the braindead design of US storm drains

• Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

I never actually thought about this.

Why exactly are storm drains designed like that with a opening for little kids to get sucked in?

Do other countries (with similar weather) have the same problems?

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

We have the grate in the floor, but not the massive openings that clown monsters live in.

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

The one on that picture is actually okay, I’ve seen way bigger openings.

Never seen them outside North America.

• Zorg@lemmings.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        26 days ago

This 3 foot pipe is also considered a storm drain. Unclear in the article if he was sucked down a street drain with unnecessarily large opening, or a drain for a creek.

• Sasha@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

We have similar drains in Australia, I don’t think it’s particularly common but I have seen them get completely clogged in a big storm. Nearly flooded our friends house because they lived at the bottom of a hill.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

I live in the US and I’ve never seen one like that, only the square ones on the ground.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

Those are big enough for kids to fit in? I’ve seen them, but I think the ones I’ve seen were still narrower then that.

People are talking about needing more inspectors, but they shouldn’t even be manufacturing these with wide openings.