• hessenjunge
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    vor 24 Tagen

It’s Porsche. Sorry to be that guy but that bothers me.

• dependencyinjection
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      vor 24 Tagen

No I’m happy to be corrected. I actually don’t know what’s come over me as a pedant myself, I should be ashamed.

• Somethingcheezie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      vor 24 Tagen

I read that a few times…is he saying Porsches break down a lot so ya the truck would win. But then I noticed the spellings. So ya a cyber truck would beat a Porche, they’re cheap knock offs of Porsches

• Maalus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        vor 24 Tagen

The entire gimmick was “cybertruck is faster loaded with an entire car and towing it, than the car itself”. They didn’t mention they didn’t go for the entire 1/4 mile. They didn’t mention they cherrypicked the slowest Porsche there is. They didn’t mention they lightened the trailer etc. It was 100% made in their favour, yet they still lost.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          vor 24 Tagen

IMO a lightened trailer is fair. It’s really all about power to weight ratio. If a cyber truck could tow a car faster than that car can drive itself, then it means the power to weight ratio is that much higher. Torque also plays a role. They’d have to use a negative weight trailer for it’s weight to change that.

Guessing they ran the numbers and realized the instant torque of the electric motor would give them an edge at the very beginning, based on the “didn’t go the entire 1/4 mile” bit, which just means it takes less than 1/4 mile to make up for the higher torque in that particular scenario.

Also the skill of the drivers would play a role unless they set up an automated system (and tuned it right for both vehicles).

• Maalus@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            vor 24 Tagen

No, the marketing was “a tesla towing a porsche is faster on a 1/4 mile than the porsche”. And then they only tested it up to 1/8th, and “extrapolated” that it would win 1/4. Which it didn’t. It simply was false advertising, even with everything going “their way”.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              vor 24 Tagen

Yeah, I don’t disagree with the way you put it there, the only part I disagree with in your comment above is that using a lightweight trailer should be considered a part of the cheating.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                vor 24 Tagen

Why isn’t it part of cheating? You wouldn’t be able to use that trailer on public roads. It’s not that they used a lightweight trailer, it’s that they took an already barebones trailer and then cut and hacked away at it to make it lighter.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  vor 24 Tagen

Because being able to accelerate just the combined mass of the two vehicles faster than the other can accelerate its own mass alone would still be impressive when that other vehicle is a high performance one.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    vor 24 Tagen

It doesn’t really matter if it’s impressive still or not. What matters is what they said and what the parameters of the test are. They said “while towing” not “laden with the weight of a porsche on a weightless trailer”. It’d be like winning the olympics on steroids. Impressive, since most people wouldn’t come close even while taking steroids. But still cheating.