• Creat
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

This also makes it easy to block Win 10 from upgrading to 11, just disable tpm in BIOS. From where I’m sitting, that’s kinda convenient.

• Scott@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

That’s where you grab a W10 Enterprise LTSC iso which has support until 2032.

Already got a surface running it.

• Imgonnatrythis@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Hol up. So m$ is still making the patches they’re just not releasing them to anyone but enterprise users? The whole end of service thing doesn’t actually free up any of their resources its just a soulless push for upgrade purchases?

• Scott@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

There are a few copies floating around torrent sites.

Usually it’s sku conversion changes so it’s not an eval mode.

Or find a friendly neighborhood n3rd who might have one. 😉

Also you can entirely uninstall edge!

• Creat
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Dunno yet, sounds like future me’s problem. Mist likely some version of Linux unless win 11 drastically changes course (unlikely).

• daikiki@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I imagine they’ll have backtracked on this decision long before then.

• Khrux@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I have a PC I built that was absolutely top of the line 9½ years ago, that still plays most games in high to max settings. It’s a little powerhouse for its age, I often use it for rendering video and it still smokes everybody I know 's devices.

Windows 11 is too powerful for my PC according to Microsoft and I’ve been so pleased about that. If it wasn’t for the fact that I have no issues with my current windows 10 setup, I’d put in some time to jump to Linux. I’m just too lazy to give it the weekend it would take to learn, set up and move my content over properly.

• Creat
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Well to my knowledge there are (or at least were) workarounds to get win 11 to install anyway. It of course worked fine, despite saying it needed a TPM and/or specific minimum CPU.

From an eWaste perspective Microsofts decision to force literally millions of PCs into fake obsolescence is obviously horrible. And I honestly have no idea what their motivation even was for this.

As for trying Linux, these days it really isn’t even a weekend. Sure if you want to tinker and learn, you can invest a weekend. But if you want to just use the PC just pick any of the commonly recommended distros and just go. It’s installed in minutes and you can honestly just use the PC for whatever you used to use it before. Just backup/move your data off it and you got nothing to lose but like an hour, if it really doesn’t work as you need it to.