00:25:DF:*

• dependencyinjection
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Wait could I theoretically go to a UK police station or somewhere with a lot of police and pick up their MAC addresses.

Then if I were to be involved in some direct action I could get alerts that the police are nearby?

If so what device do I need to do this mobile? Like a laptop? Or one of those little orange hacker tools which the name is escapes me right now.

• dependencyinjection
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

That’s it. Gone I’m getting old. Flipper Zero init.

Do you have one? I’ve been interested for a minute but not sure if I can loads of fun with it.

I’d be interested in using it to affect digital billboards or taking direct action against companies I don’t think have a moral backbone.

• perviouslyiner@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

While flipper is very versatile, it’s pretty weak compared to dedicated devices with proper antennas for the signal type you’re looking at.

• dependencyinjection
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Thanks that helps me make the choice.

I do already have some decent antennas from the last time I was playing around with Kali and Airpdump ng so I’ll get into some studying.

Thanks.

• Glitterbomb@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

I looked into maybe getting a flipper a while back and decided the hackRF would be the way to go. I never got either, but from what I was reading, hackRF let’s you do all the things people who own flippers wish the flipper did.

• dependencyinjection
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

Yeah I think GhostStrats on YouTube did an episode on his toolkit and the HackRF was recommended.

What I really want to do is fuck with digital billboards. I have a hatred for adverts and more so in the real world lol.

• swab148@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Nah, it’d mostly just end up being another useless gadget to me. It’s cool, but I don’t have room for gadgets rn.

• lost_faith@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

MAC addresses are assigned to the hardware and do not change with each boot (first 3 pairs are company second 3 pairs are the device), unless you spoof the address then you can make it display any MAC address you wish but the MAC of the device never changes.

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

Advertised WiFi MAC is randomized per AP by most devices these days, and Bluetooth also have equivalent privacy protocols. So unless you can get the device to connect to you then you won’t see a static identifier that can be followed