When I got hooked on Morrowind in middle school it occurred to me to quicksave before a test at school.

What’s yours?

• Creat
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

That is a pretty bad description of the Tetris effect. Also incredibly misleading. The very short description from Wikipedia reads:

The Tetris effect occurs when someone dedicates vast amounts of time, effort and concentration on an activity which thereby alters their thoughts, experiences, dreams, and so on.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Sounds pretty accurate to me. The phenomenon op is asking about is a facet of that effect.

• Creat
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Really? “Urge to do moves/actions from it in real life” is the same as thinking or dreaming about it?

From my experience with the Tetris effect, not one occurrence fits his description, but I experience the Tetris effect in most weeks in my life. That’s why it feels like such a disconnected description for me.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I agree they’re not 1:1 but imo you can’t feel the “actions in real life” part without being heavily incepted by a video game’s loops, like in your thoughts and dreams.

But I get it a lot less because I don’t game as much these days