Hi y’all, i used to be so prolific at the whole pc building thing. but now i’m out of the game with age and not buying stuff in a while. so here’s my question:

my PC is fine and i upgraded parts of it during the years. but it may be time for a new motherboard, since mine only supports 32gb of RAM which isnt enough anymore.

what do I need to do to replace my motherboard? I guess, i’d have to re-install everything, right? Isn’t windows and all the software kinda bound to my motherboard?

since i’m fine with my 2060Super, i guess getting a new PC is not worth it, my case and hard drives are fine. i will need new RAM and SSDs. So what should I look for in a motherboard?

thanks for reading this ramble

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

32GB of ram is absolutely still enough. Your biggest boost will be getting an m.2 drive, if you aren’t already on one. Much faster and more reliable than an ssd.

As for windows and re-installation of everything…yes. there are technically a couple workarounds you could do, but really, you’re way better off just doing a fresh install of everything on an m.2 drive. If you want to stay with windows, it may be easier to pirate win 10 rather than going through customer service, but de0ending on how you own your current windows, microsoft customer service may be able to hook you up.