• skillissuer
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

recycling plastic is not as shiny as advertised, just burn this shit for energy instead

• YerbaYerba@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I like it. Burn trash to power data centers running LLMs. Garage in, garbage out

• skillissuer
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

it’s better used for municipal heating, you know, something actually useful

• Soyweiser@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Instructions unclear, burned datacenter instead.

(To any 3 letter agencies reading this, I’m making a joke, I’m not pro burning down datacenters, that is Yuds thing).

• Swedneck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

the thing about this is that yes, CURRENTLY plastic recycling fucking sucks, but if we ACTUALLY BUILT SOME FUCKING RECYCLING FACILITIES that would change…

here in sweden we’re building a recycling facility in Motala that will be able to properly recycle a good chunk of our plastic packaging, it’s clearly doable, let’s fucking build them.

• skillissuer
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

what kind of recycling plant, because it matters greatly as of efficiency

if you just want to remelt it, then sure, it works pretty well, but you have to have that plastic sorted by type and clean, and then you need to have a use case that would accept potentially unsanitary plastic

or you could just say fuck it all, and treat is as a kind of extremely heavy crude, but this is pretty inefficient, kg per kg