• bstix@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Sorry can’t find it again. It was in the news at the beginning of 2023 after the energy price “crisis” in 2022 following the Ukraine war.

What I can find now are articles and statements about their savings (in Danish). The switch of ovens actually happened in 2018 and they saved 13.6 gigawatts pro anno. That’s a lot, but not enough to cover the EV charging. Then in 2023 they switched a fuel source that cut down a lot of CO2, and while that is not exactly an electricity saving, it is equal to the production of 300 gigawatts, which again entirely depends on how it is produced (and presented).

Anyway. Those figures are in the ballpark of what a newly erected wind turbine farm can provide, but it happened in a very short time and within less than 1 km radius on one single production facility: Aalborg Portland.

Mind, this is the largest energy consuming business in the country, but it still goes to show how much the industry can achieve with the right set of mind.

I used to work in the electricity sector and I can easily point at 4-5 other heavy consuming factories just in this area, who each consume more electricity than the entire residential market within the same area, car charging or not. It’s as simple as sorting a list, but who’s going to address it?

Also, I’d rather have that kind of production on electricity than other fuels, because at least our electricity is mainly renewable except for peak hours.