• Chewy
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Is it because oft the author using multiple clauses and multiple layers of context in the first two paragraphs?

If yes, then I understand why. I find myself making the same mistake quite often because my first language is German, which often uses clauses (at least it’s more common than in english).

• sramder@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Most likely. My own unfamiliarity with the subject matter plays a part too.

It wasn’t badly written… but it probably could have used a brief introduction.

• Chewy
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yes, they’re using several abbreviations, without explaining them properly, which isn’t ideal. It’s likely to keep the article short, which comes at the expense of people unfamiliar with the topic)l/organizations.

Another news site I regularly visit has a small information button besides abbreviations with a popup to explain a term, which also links to Wikipedia. This makes understanding articles about unfamiliar topics way easier.

• sramder@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I’m not mad at it :-) It was written for people who were familiar with the situation and posted in a subject matter specific forum.

24 hours later I feel like a bit of an ass. I thought about how many times I’ve picked up a technical article and wished for a bit less background… it’s kind of nice that we don’t have to talk about the whole history of OSS before getting to the news/subject.