• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

If you don’t test an update before you push it out, you fucked up. Simple as that. The person or persons who decided to send that update out untested, absolutely fucked up. They not only pushed it out untested, they didn’t even roll it out in offset times from one region to the next or anything. They just went full ham. Absolutely an idiot move.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

The bigger issue is the utterly deranged way in which they push definitions out. They’ve figured out a way to change kernel drivers without actually putting it through any kind of Microsoft testing process. Utterly absurd way of doing it. I understand why they’re doing it that way but the better solution would have been to come up with an actual proper solution with Microsoft, rather than this work around that seems rather like a hack.

• xavier666@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

This is the biggest issue. Devs will make mistakes while coding. It’s the job of the tester to catch them. I’m sure some mid-level manager said “let’s increase the deployment speed by self-signing our drivers” and forced a poor schmuck to do this. They skipped internal testing and bypassed Microsoft testing.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

That mid-level manager also has the conflicting responsibility to ensure the necessary process is happening to reliably release, and that a release can’t happen unless that process happened. They goofed, as did their manager who prized cheapness and quickness over quality

Let them all from the CEO down suffer the consequences that a free market supposedly deals

• Brkdncr@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

We still don’t know exactly what happened, but we do know that some part of their process failed catastrophically and their customers should all be ready to dump them.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I’m quite happy to dump them right now. I still don’t really understand why we need their product there are other solutions that seem to work better and don’t kill the entire OS if they have a problem.