It’s available as an official European Citizens’ Initiative Proposal.

Deadline: 31/07/2025

Corresponding video by Ross

Edit: Swapped the links to direct straight to the initiative page.

• e8d79
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Already signed it. Took about two seconds thanks to eID.

• Amanda@aggregatet.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I had the exact opposite experience! I went through a lengthy process of signing up for and activating the weird nonstandard eID that most places don’t accept over the normal one I already have and use for everything, the only one they supported, only to be told I can’t use it without manually contacting the company, have them invalidate my activation and then go into some office to get manually re-activated.

• e8d79
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

As with everything in the EU, eId needs to be implemented separately by 27 member states and some states do it better than others. I am just lucky to live in a state that does e-government quite well all things considered.

• Amanda@aggregatet.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Sure, but this is the thing that really annoys me: my state has really good eID, it just doesn’t work with the EU stuff. It works with literally every other government service, most companies, often as physical ID, for payments, etc etc

• gerryflap@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Yeah it was very easy actually. Though fair warning to people who are sensitive to flashing lights: after logging in with DigiD (Netherlands) my screen went full strobe mode. Looked like multiple pages loading in quick succession with different background colours before finally landing on the success screen.