6x05: Schisms. My nerd rage flared up a little bit watching that scene.

• django
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

So if the original recordings still existed on film, you’d be able to do it, if you redid the mastering using said film?

• ummthatguy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

My understanding is that if there’s a master in proper film/celluloid, it’s possible to upscale and variably clean up. Whereas, if it was recorded strictly on VHS tape, there’s not a lot to be done quality-wise that won’t butcher it.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

AI upscaling does a really good job with things recorded on video tape. I’ve been very impressed lately.

Obviously, the AI is putting data that wasn’t originally there into the image, but the approximation is good enough that you pretty much don’t notice.

Check out, if you can, what Peter Jackson did with WWI footage for the documentary he made. It’s really amazing. Not video tape, but a similar missing data and low quality problem.

• superkret@feddit.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

I watched that WW1 documentary.
          Honestly, I liked that they slowed down the footage (and still don’t understand why that’s not always done when playing old video recorded with a lower frame rate), but the upscaling still looked fake and artificial. I’d rather have film grain out the Wazoo than that.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

In this particular case, we’re talking about CG special effects footage being the only thing that needs to be upscaled. It’s artificial to begin with.

• JWBananas@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

They do. But the VFX/CGI do not.

Surprisingly, much of the original CGI source does exist. And the models were overdeveloped and thus basically usable as-is.

But it’s still a lot of painstaking, manual work.

It’s a money problem, not a technical one.

• django
        link
        fedilink
        Deutsch
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Good to know, that this is only a money problem, so it might be done in the future.