• CyberEgg
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

And nobody says so. The problems that lead to people dying while trying to reach Europe is multifactorial, and so the solutions need to be multifactorial.

To reduce the number of refugees we need to fight climate change, revoked neocolonialistic trade deals that pull the livelihood from where the refugees come from, stop delivering arms into a lot of active war zones and to oppressive governments, etc.

To ensure the safety of refugees already on the move and who will yet get to move, we need to establish safe routes, stop pushbacks, improve conditions in refugee camps in Europe, accelerate the asylum admission processes, agree on fair ways of distributions, improve on integration measures, etc.

Nobody said it’s easy though.

• ℍ𝕂-𝟞𝟝@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

And what do we do with the Russians starting civil wars in Africa? Or Chinese neocolonialism?

Yes, we should unfuck the asylum process and speed it up. Also the one for legal migration. The problem though is that if Europe plays the humanitarian and tries to fix Africa, Europe’s detractors will keep fucking it up even more.

Another problem is this, “agree on fair ways of distributions”. What’s fair? Is it fair when the German chancellor stands up and encourages migration, while the standing agreements put all the burden on other countries? Is it fair for Hungary to say “we did not fuck Africa up, we can’t afford to have a part in fixing it either”?

All I’m saying is that I agree that this is a multifaceted problem, but people like this ship’s crew make it worse for everyone.

• ℍ𝕂-𝟞𝟝@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I think people who rescue people from drowning and instead of taking them to a port of entry, facilitate illegal immigration, give ammunition to the far right in Europe, which is going to result in idiotic racist pricks getting elected, and it really getting worse.

• CyberEgg
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

but people like this ship’s crew make it worse for everyone.

How? Please tell me you don’t want to say not letting people die is making the situation worse.

• ℍ𝕂-𝟞𝟝@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I’m not against saving people from drowning, I’m against doing this “rebel” shit and putting them to shore illegally. Get them out of the water, ask them which port of entry they would like to go, and take them there.

Continuing this is just going to give idiots in the EU legitimacy, and it will end up with machineguns and barbed wire.

• federal reverse@feddit.orgM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

people like this ship’s crew make it worse for everyone.

Letting people die at sea just means being cruel. Nothing else. It doesn’t magically send some kind of signal not to cross the sea to would-be migrants. Despite “conservatives” constructing their own alternate realities, this is, in fact, a well-researched fact.

• ℍ𝕂-𝟞𝟝@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Never have I said “let people die at sea”. I’m saying pick them up, and take them to any legal port of entry they want to go to.