• jol
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

But it’s starting to look like that facade is falling and they could just frame him and kick him out.

• GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Frame him? Why? All they have to do is stand aside and let various Democrats at different levels of government charge and convict him of crimes we know he did.

• jol
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Wasn’t he already convicted of various crimes?

• Gaspar@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Yes, he was. But if he hadn’t been helped along by a Florida judge that he had appointed (Aileen Cannon) he very likely would have already been charged with more, and more serious, crimes (the whole classified documents debacle).

Jack Smith seems to be trying to make it work regardless, so the hope is that he will still be charged in this case. But, thanks to Cannon’s meddling, that case will probably not continue until after the election. The GOP and Project 2025 are counting on that not mattering anymore at that point.

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I don’t think it would matter. Even Trump once said that he could shoot a man in broad daylight and people would still vote for him. If the GOP nominated someone else, there would just be write ins for Trump. And it’s not just a small amount of people - a good percentage of the US is this deep into it.

• GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Trump didn’t win the popular vote when he was elected. I’m pretty sure a write-in of him would just guarantee the Republicans would lose.

• jol
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Well, I guess the polls will tell. If you guys still give about 50% of votes to this weird guy, I will accept that it really doesn’t matter at all.

• uienia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The voterbase are largely Trump cultists, so they can’t without losing almost all of their voters.

• jol
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Are they, though? What do you base yourself on? I just find that very hard to believe.