Just listened to the BBC Radio Ulster interview with the Deputy First Minister for Northern Ireland, Emma Little-Pengelly. I think it was a good response as she was condemning violence, but also acknowledging the problem and catalyst (a lack of social housing) and started talking about how she’ll try and work to create more social housing so people aren’t displaced by migration, etc. I think this was a common sense approach instead of just simply encouraging violence or declaring war on the rioters, which I feel like would just make things worse.

It is true, we should expand social housing. I think everyone can agree with that.

• mindlesscrollyparrot
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

How is their claim not valid if the Home Office allowed it? You think Priti Patel was like “oh, go on then, I’ll turn a blind eye just this once” ?

It isn’t the case that they have to claim in the first country they come to. That’s just misinformation.

If they spoke French, they would probably claim there. France takes more asylum seekers than the UK, so why would they risk their lives? We didn’t even take our interpreters from Afghanistan.

You’d think that Nigel Farage would be as informed as anybody on these topics and he’s getting his information from Andrew Tate. I repeat: they do not have valid concerns; they are just racists rioting.

• mindlesscrollyparrot
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

It should be the case that we do our part and take in as many refugees as France.

It should be the case that we honour our debts and take in the people that risked their lives to help our troops in Afghanistan.

It should be the case that people stop listening to grifters peddling lies on the internet.

• Flax@feddit.ukOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I agree with the helping people who helped us in Afghanistan. No reason why we should inflict on ourselves the same problem france has. We don’t want teachers being beheaded here.