• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

That is what cast iron looks like if you strip it down to the bare metal. It’s not actually ruined, but it will be unusable until someone goes through the process of re-seasoning it

• rustyricotta@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

I had a roommate who thought this, and therefore never washed or rinsed their cast iron. They refused to believe otherwise.

• zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            27 days ago

You should avoid washing and rinsing it as much as possible, especially avoiding soap. When food sticks, I usually just soak it, scrub it using a loofah, and then dry it over a hot burner or in a high-temperature oven.

I saw one guy on YouTube who scrubbed his out using salt. I think I’m going to start using this technique, because it avoids water altogether.

• maccentric@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              27 days ago

I got a chain mail cloth thing that does a pretty decent job of getting the pan clean without using soap. When it fails I use steel wool that doesn’t come pre-soaped.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                27 days ago

Chain mail and dish detergent every time. Usually just needs a quick wipe, then dry with a paper towel.

Occasionally something sticks but you’re already set to scrub. In that case, you’ll need to touch up the seasoning after

• TimewornTraveler@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              26 days ago

no, the soap thing was from back when soaps contained Lye. dont use grandma’s soap on cast iron. please use a small amt of soap on your cookware

• snooggums@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        28 days ago

Which is a bit time consuming and takes a little practice, but is a pretty great feature for getting a pan back into working condition in situations where a steel or aluminum pan might be ruined.

I had a few imperfections on a lodge that were catching the spatula, but too big to just knock off with said spatula. After a light 5 minute sanding with an orbital sander, a wash, and a couple hours for the new seasoning to bake on it was back in business.

Now it is my favorite cast iron pan!

(I cook most things on ceramic non-stick though)

• chonglibloodsport@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            28 days ago

Yes. Aluminum sheet pans for baking and roasting are awesome. They take a seasoning really well and when fully seasoned to a dark brown/black they become amazing tools for browning and roasting foods!

• grue@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            28 days ago

(although I don’t see the benefit of steel)

I could be wrong, but I think carbon steel skillets and woks are supposed to be treated the same way as cast iron.

• rustydrd@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              28 days ago

Carbon steel, yes. Stainless steel, no (you can season that one too, but the coating will not stick to the pan well due to the steel’s smoother surface).

• AA5B@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            27 days ago

Steel can work really well with seasoning, but not stainless steel. I have a steel griddle top and a steel pizza pan that are well seasoned now to being mostly non-stick.

I don’t know what kind of steel you’d call them but probably not carbon steel nor stainless steel

• Beemo Dachboden@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        Deutsch
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

Wouldn’t even call it unusable as is.

I am pretty sure you could cook bacon or similarly fatty stuff in there right away.
        Then again there are people that see cooking bacon as a legitimate form of seasoning a pan.

• Kogasa@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

If my cooking senses are right, it would be like cooking bacon in a stainless steel pan, which is sticky and burny but not impossible

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            28 days ago

No, they’re right cooking bacon is a way people season cast iron! You have to cook a lot of it though, and it’s really not the best way to do it lol

• juliebean@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            28 days ago

you really oughtta season your stainless steel too, then you likely won’t have such issues.

• ColeSloth
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

I mean, you can. But bacon will pretty angrily stick to a naked pan like that.

• AlexisFR@jlai.lu
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        28 days ago

Can’t we just get a Tefal so we can clean them like normal people?

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

Cleaning cast iron is actually super easy, this person didn’t “clean” it though they sanded it down to the bare metal which makes things more difficult

• chonglibloodsport@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

If you put enough time and effort into it, you can grind down and polish a cast iron pan until it has a mirror like finish. Some people prefer this so that after seasoning the pan is very smooth and glossy black, like a well-cared-for carbon steel pan.