Finding out that t2linux is too broken was like finding out that Santa isn’t real

• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

Unless you’re using ancient hardware, you already have an internet connected back door in your CPU.

• SilentObserver@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

pulls out abacus

“Not today fedboys! Now, how do I listen to Taylor’s latest single on this?”

• Evil_Shrubbery@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

Use it as a harp?

If it doesn’t work check for viruses, defragment your balls, and satanise your beads. Maybe you just need to download more orbs?

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        26 days ago

Corebooted Thinkpads are pretty ancient.

But 3mdeb, Novacustom, Starlabs, System76… well and Chromebooks exist.

Also no idea about the new ARM laptops.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            26 days ago

Yeah really. I have a T430, tried an i7 upgrade but it ate too much battery and was crazy hot (3632QM, the “normal” model!).

The dual core CPU still works kinda well. The keyboard is awesome but loud. The screen is terrible. I have some phone speakers I plan to use for swapping the laptop ones which are crap too.

My T495 had an even better keyboard but proprietary, outdated (kind of, got a Spectre patch).

The clevo honestly has crappy external hardware except the excellent screen. Camera sucks, touchpad sucks, keyboard tolerable. Very strong i7 cpu and good peripherls (well, no displayport, a nogo for FOSS computers I think)

• Jumuta@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              25 days ago

The screen on the t430 is indeed horrible but I had a very modern laptop before this which was pretty high spec, and it had a even worse screen than this somehow (it was some horrendous IPS display, I don’t even understand how you mess it up that bad). Compared to that pile of garbage this is much better. The only problem is that you can’t replace the display on the t430 as easily as a modern (non-touchscreen) laptop because it uses the LVDS interface instead of the modern eDP interface.

• TurboWafflz@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            26 days ago

I bought an Asus Eee PC from 2007 for $7 a couple weeks ago and put NetBSD and it is honestly surprisingly usable for non web tasks. Your 2011 ThinkPad is like insane future technology by comparison

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

You can run libreboot on newer devices but the Intel ME is needed to boot. Apparently the device shuts off after 15min without it.

With that being said it is possible to disable it after boot

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            26 days ago

Hmm, intel was sued by the literal NSA for the ME so they now need to include a setting for it.

You need to place a specific bit in the BIOS and then it is disabled. This should not cause any problems.

But for some reason, which may be a faulty USB flash install, Dasharo Coreboot on a Clevo NV41 loses the TPM when disabling the ME.

I have 2 nitrokeys so might just use that as secure element instead of my TPM.

• smb@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                26 days ago

but you did notice that compilers can be manipulated to include backdoors into resulting binaries AND put the same manipulation into newly compiled compilers as well, right? then where did you get that compiler from? did you have a look at the binary output? then if so, did you look at it using the hexeditor of that same compiler? 😎 plz have a look … 💥 bzzzt … really you are lucky to be alive after a blast like that, especially you, have yourself checked out with ems before you leave!

• smb@lemmy.ml
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    25 days ago

with a microscope

if it was at least a scanning tunneling one, then yes, good job 👍 🤪

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

AMD has an equivalent technology they put in around the same time. Also AMD chips aren’t nearly as compatible with libreboot.

A while back AMD did say they were looking to open up a lot of the boot stack but I haven’t heard anything sense.

• smb@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

you already have an internet connected back door in your CPU.

unless you’re running your own gsm station and let your cpu’s safely connect to it, and use that connection for additional snmp monitoring data?