• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    27 days ago

Someone should submit a resolution to the UN security council ordering both Russia and Ukraine to go back to the 2013 borders. And then Russia can do what it wants with their vote and veto.

• IsoKiero@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

I’m not exactly sure what happened between 1991 and 2013 around there, but I’d argue that they should have the original indepencence borders and that’s it. But it’s not my call by any stretch, Ukraine and their people are the ones who should settle where the border is.

And the global west should support their cause. Sure, it’s not particulary easy for anyone right now, but for the majority of the people in EU supporting Ukraine is financially mostly a inconvenience. You might pay a slightly bit more on your bread and butter, but currently no one is coming for you with guns, which is very much a reality in Ukraine right now.

• Loulou@lemmy.mindoki.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

Exactly, the EU especially is rich enough to pour ten times more into Ukraine without we even noticing it.

• Pup Biru@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

isn’t ukraine asking for the 2013 borders? i believe “the west” is literally saying it’s up to ukraine to decide and we will support them

• IsoKiero@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          26 days ago

I don’t know how willing they are to give up Crimea and I suppose one of the reasons the war is happening now is that the west closed their eyes when Russia annexed areas from Ukraine. At least on the news Crimea is often described as ‘temporarily occupied’, so I think at least offically they’re targeting 1991 borders.

But yeah, it’s solely up to Ukraine, and I believe they’ll have very similar support regardless of the border, at least as long as they’re not claiming anything beyond 1991 borders from Russia.

• Pup Biru@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            26 days ago

yes but crimea was occupied by russia in 2014, and they shouldn’t have to give it up - and i don’t think anyone’s asking them to - except obviously russia

• Pup Biru@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

i mean that’s still not even… ukraine has a country to rebuild and even stevens would include reparations for both loss of life and rebuilding

a compromise is russia gets the fuck out of ukraine and ukraine begrudgingly accepts that this is better than more war and then starts dealing with the consequences of russias aggression