It feels dirty to agree with an ISP on something. But even the worst corporations are on the right side of something from time to time I suppose.

• ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

But not before we abolish corporations and capitalism. The very moment you abolish copyright while keeping capitalism, Disney and co will just outright copy and barely modify other people’s work, then start misinformation campaigns that they were the real creators. Considering all the Disney and other brand simps, I don’t think it will lead to them self-destructing due to bad publicity.

• schnurrito
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

If that were true, Disney and similar companies should be lobbying for the abolition or at least weakening of copyright, which we can tell isn’t the case.

• AeonFelis@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          25 days ago

I won’t argue that corporations wouldn’t steal other people’s work given the chance, but being able to do this is hardly worth the cost of not having copyrights on their own material. A Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks/etc. movie is not a stand-alone product - it’s mainly a feature-length commercial for a franchise. No copyrights means that the corporation doesn’t get revenue from the the merchandise created and sold by third parties.