(I’m trying to adjust my shopping habits for quality, long-lasting goods from reputable brands. This isn’t some hailcorporate thing)

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    22 days ago

If you’re much of a tech person, you must have been living under a rock if you think all apple products are good. Several of their laptops and desktops have been large misses, some have had critical flaws that burn them out after a few years, one of their iPhones had a battery/processor combo flaw that had the batteries not deliver enough voltage after like a year and instead of doing a recall, they put out an update that undercooked the apu so the phone ran shittier but wouldn’t rando restart anymore. Then there was the iPhone that lost reception if “you were holding it wrong”.

Also, there’s a reason they were about to go bankrupt in the mid 90’s. They got saved by Bill Gates and got lucky with the Ipod, that saved their company.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

I just give my experience.

What is the phone with the undervolting? I do not know that thing.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          21 days ago

Oh yeah, the thing that all devices do so they don’t just shut off randomly. Apple was just punished cuz they weren’t transparent about it. Would you rather your phone slow down as the battery is almost empty, or shut off at 15%?

• ColeSloth
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            21 days ago

Lol. That is 100% not true, Fan Boy. My four year old samsung still pulls the same test numbers and frequencies as when it was new. Apple was using flawed batteries with a processor that couldn’t cope and just tried to cover it up.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              21 days ago

My almost six year old iPhone XS Max also has a very healthy battery. But if we kept our phones for a long time, when your and my batteries aren’t healthy, both of our phones are absolutely going to throttle when voltage drops. If they don’t, they’ll just shut off at 15%. It’s how batteries work.

• ColeSloth
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                21 days ago

Notice that your phone is 6 years old, and not one year old. There’s your hiccup.

Also, I’d rather replace a battery in a 6 year old phone, than put up with it only being at half capacity and being underclocked so it runs like shit.

Further also, you aren’t quite understanding the issue with the phones. Most phones manufacturers leave some “wiggle room” for their power demand and don’t need a full 3.6v for stability (lithium batts are 3.7v nominal). Apple screwed up their power draw and screwed up their battery manufacturing.