I lean toward “efficient entertainment”, but I do sometimes wonder what that chunk of my free time would look like otherwise.

• KomfortablesKissen
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 days ago

It’s way too easy for people to be exploited through video games, just as with gambling, for it to be “just another hobby”. They can also become addicted.

Yes, it can be a very nice hobby; with some games you can even show something for the time spent (As in skills, not “achievements”).

But it can also become a symptom of dangerous reality abandonment. The worst for this is in my opinion still better than substance abuse, but a danger nonetheless.

• bluewing@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Anything can be addicting. I knew a woman who was literally addicted to maraschino cherries. There are people who are addicted to work.

Anything done to excess is an addiction. So choose yours’ carefully.

• KomfortablesKissen
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

Yes, everything can be, but games are designed to be addicting. Most are designed to keep you engaged as long as possible, some even to profit as much as possible from the player.

• bluewing@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          20 days ago

Almost everything you can buy is designed to be addicting. From video games to peanut butter. Because that’s how you get people to continue to use your specific product.

So choose your addictions carefully and try to keep them as under control as possible. Sadly, some can do that and some cannot.

• KomfortablesKissen
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            20 days ago

True. This might be a more personal thing for me, which is why I felt the severity might be higher than it actually is.

• bluewing@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              20 days ago

Personal bias about addictions is a real thing and you aren’t alone. The shrapnel of an addiction can leave some pretty heavy scars on those who have to live around an addicted person. And it matters not a whit about what the actual addiction is.

If you have those scars, I hope you find internal peace.

• Ledivin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      20 days ago

Yes, it can be a very nice hobby; with some games you can even show something for the time spent (As in skills

Nah, miss me with this mindset. Not every minute of your life needs to be productive, you should have at least one hobby that you can’t show something for the time spent.

• KomfortablesKissen
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

Agreed, not every minute needs to be productive.

Hobbies (like woodworking, to which I was trying to relate my text) can be very self affirming, especially if you get very good at them. I was thinking about this self affirmation, not about productivity when I was writing that.