• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 days ago

Apparently, muricans are a lost tribe of Sumerians.

Hold on a sec. I need to write up some golden tablets or something.

• mkwt@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 days ago

Well you see, in 1793, 'Merica requested the metric artifacts from France so we could be metric too. France sent over a kilogram, but the shipment was lost at sea. And that was a little sad.

All joking aside, US feet, inches, pounds, and so on have been secretly really metric since 1893.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            18 days ago

eh.

Fun fact. if you use your knucklebones to count instead of fingers, and you use multiplication instead of addition you can get to 144 counting on your fingers. (i.e. one digit on the second hand is equal to a full hand- 12- on the first.)

yeah. some bullshit about that being why we have 12 hours, and 12 inches in a foot, is totally going into those golden tablets.

(IIRC, we have 12 hours because there was 10 hours of daylight in Egypt, and an hour on either end for twilight. that evolved into the 24 hour system we have today.)

I think I’ll call my new religion Bullcrap Bulk’rap bulq’rap.

• ShinkanTrain@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        18 days ago

Paleolithic mfers will see you writing a stone tablet and think “this fool doesn’t know how to sharpen a rock” 😂😂😂

• Tlaloc_Temporal@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

Well if we want to get pedantic, every unique thing passed around and spread is a meme. Jokes, art styles, idioms, words, greetings, most social behavior really. And you can go a step further and say diseases, species, even all of life is a meme.

And if there ever was a place to use this definition of meme it would be… LinguisticMemes, but this is a good second place.