Basically, what the title says. Do you use any app, that is proprietary, but either has no OSS alternatives or they’re all not good enough? If there is an alternative, what keeps you from switching?

• unknowing8343
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 days ago

Pedantic, but Google Messages’ RCS. And it’s all Google’s fault because they are holding the API hostage, probably because they want to create familiarity with the app so that people don’t switch once they finally open up.

• lemmy_eat_world@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

Not pedantic at all. Google lied about RCS being an open standard.

The pedantic point would be saying that RCS, the protocol, is technically open, but the specific implementation that Google is pushing and being adopted is proprietary 🤓

So yeah. Totally fair point and fuck Google for their RCS bait-and-switch.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      12 days ago

For anyone wondering:

RCS

Rich Communication Services. It is a protocol designed to enhance traditional SMS. RCS allows users to send messages that can include high-resolution images, videos, audio messages, and group chats, as well as features like read receipts, typing indicators, and location sharing.

• TonyOstrich@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 days ago

Not just that, but they are actively hostile and hypocritical about it. Every 1-3 months they prevent RCS from working on rooted phones or phones running alternate ROMs. The fact that they spent so much time complaining that Apple wouldn’t comply with the “open” standard while limiting users’ options on their own platform is very frustrating.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      12 days ago

I’m glad Google is exposing how crappy RCS is.

It’s been fifteen years, and all they have is a “protocol” that’s still completely dependant on a phone number.

What good is that? Why would I want that?

There are numerous systems that don’t rely on a phone number, e.g. XMPP did everything RCS is trying to do, in 2010 (I ran it on my phone then, with a desktop client that kept in sync).

Teleguard works on every platform, no phone number required, as does MATRIX, Simplex, Wire, Threema, etc, etc.

Not to mention the issues people have with it. It’s unreliable.

• unknowing8343
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 days ago

RCS is not another chat app.

It’s the NEW SMS. That is why it is so important, and that is why it works ONLY IF YOU HAVE A PHONE. Because that’s literally the point.

Having your mom, grandpa, and everyone automatically use encrypted, modern comnunication just because they have a phone is extremely important.

Realise that in places where SMS has been historically free, SMS is the standard.

XMPP, Matrix or whatever will obviously still have its place for more “incognito” conversations. But having a phone number should also give you access to a better alternative than SMS.

• ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 days ago

as I understand a phone number “gives you access to” RCS as much as it does to Signal. at that point it’s just about what was pre-installed

• unknowing8343
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 days ago

RCS is supposed to be a distributed protocol, just like SMS, but using data. It is not the same as Signal. Tho, currently, Google is the main provider for almost all phone companies.