From the article

Microsoft has officially announced its intent to move security measures out of the kernel, following the Crowdstrike disaster a few short months ago. The removal of kernel access for security solutions would likely revolutionise running Windows games on the Steam Deck and other Linux systems.

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

running linux is a great way to automatically filter out most of the shit games, if it won’t even run in proton then you generally have to be doing some bullshit with the code and thus aren’t worth my time and certainly not my money.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 days ago

VR games work just fine in proton, as long as you’re on Vive or Index.

It’s the the headsets that don’t support linux, unfortunately.

• ffhein@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

I’ve never got my Vive to work well in Linux, even though I’m using X which supposedly still is better for gaming that Wayland.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 days ago

There are a lot of kinks around VR on linux. Wayland has been better in my experience, but I still can’t believe SteamVR on linux just doesn’t have power management for the base stations implemented. Like, it works, there’s a fucking python script that can do it! But not via SteamVR.

I use an app on my phone to turn my base stations on and off.

Here’s hoping the Deck and whatever Deckard turns out to be means Valve is in the process of improving the situation.

• akiradavis@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 hours ago

We are small but still exists…

Once there is a way to properly play VR games without too much configuration, I will jump back to Linux. But for now, Windows 11 IOT edition is not too bad. Specifically the IOT edition without all the telemarketing and CoPilot crap.